Cannot open, edit or view files - sfFTPShellExtension Unknown Error

Just updated to the latest version.
Since then I can't open edit or view files anymore.
All I get is a error window:

sfFTPShellExtension
Unbekannter Fehler

SmartFTP v3.0.1015.5
on Windows Vista SP1

Do you use the German translation? If yes try the English translation.

If this doesn't help install the latest version from
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,
Mat

Same problem here.
Using 64 bit version of smartftp (english)
(Vista ultimate 64 bit)

Please install the latest version from:

Then create a crash dump as described in this article:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/how- ... f2594.html

Instead of using the -crash switch in the command line use -hang.
32-bit:
cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows\adplus.vbs" -hang -pn SmartFTP.exe -o C:\Dump

Run this command right after you see the error. If you need further instructions please let us know.

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

having same problem.
i have Vista Ultimate

had 2.0 installed. then downloaded new version after it wouldnt open as i installed service pack 1 for vista.
tried removing 2.0 completely, removing the files from the appdata folder, restarted machine, installed new version and still same issue.

created all connections again to test. still same error.

here is my dump file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/114739189/P ... 4.rar.html

oh, the command for the debugger is also wrong for vista x86.
you put
cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows\adplus.vbs" -hang -pn SmartFTP.exe -o C:\Dump
it needs to be for default install
cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\adplus.vbs" -hang -pn SmartFTP.exe -o C:\Dump

thanks

Just downloaded the latest version. I use original english version, no translations.

Still same problem.
Just recognized that I can't upload or download any file.
So in other words: SmartFTP is completely not working for me since I had to update to version 3.

jcmurphy, Roli: Are you interested to run a remote debug session? If yes please contact us at support attt smartftp.com

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

have the exact same thing roli.

jcmurphy, Roli: Are you interested to run a remote debug session? If yes please contact us at support attt smartftp.com

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

sounds fine with me mb,
just will have have to tee up time when both awake.

Jason

having same problem.
I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed

OK,

HERE IS THE FIX
DO EVERYTHING carefully.

it took me hours of mucking around to find the solutions but now all is working beautifully.
---------------------------------------------
all this was found between two articles: plus loads of emails with Mat at support
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/ ... 39820.aspx
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 05489.html
---------------------------------------------
---------------FIRST-----------------------
Download the SubInACL tool
and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Grab the following file fromhere
Run the file AFTER installing the subinACL tool
or if you would rather manually create the file you can... see below

Go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK

Type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to create a new file named reset.cmd
Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it.
OR

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

Run the reset.cmd file just created or downloaded.
This tool will take several minutes to run - be patient - took me 5 minutes i think it was.

Next restart the machine.

You will notice a whole lot of programs and windows services that dont want to start properly. network icons and network listings will be down etc.
Dont worry they will revert after the next step
------------------------
---------- Step 2 ---------
next do the following (copied from the second link i gave at the start)

>>Right click "Computer"
>>Click "Manage"
>>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
>>Click "Groups"
>>Right click "Administrators"
>>Click "Add to group..."
>>Click "Add"
>>Click "Advanced"
>>Click "Find Now"
>>Double click "Local Service"
>>Click "Ok"
>>Repeat to add "Network Service"
>>Click "OK"
>>"NT Authority\Local Service" and "NT Authority\Network Service" should show up in the list now
>>Click "OK"
>>Close Computer Management and reboot.
--------------------------------------------------------
Done.
just for safe measure, re-install smartftp and restart again.
you will now have complete functionality of vista, plus some other issue to do with vista and service pack 1 will be gone... or atleast they were for me.
i had problem with windows update service pausing my computer every 10-15 seconds... seems to have fixed that as well.

Sweet... good to get that sorted.... now can ftp finally.

have fun.

Thank you very much for your help. But it's not working for me.
When I try to run the reset.cmd I get the following error:

==========================================================================

LookupAccountName : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:administrators 1337 Die Struktur der Sicherheitskennung ist unzulässig.

Current object HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will not be processed

Elapsed Time: 00 00:00:00
Done: 0, Modified 0, Failed 0, Syntax errors 1
Last Syntax Error:WARNING : /grant=administrators=f : Error when checking arguments - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

LookupAccountName : HKEY_CURRENT_USER:administrators 1337 Die Struktur der Sicherheitskennung ist unzulässig.

Current object HKEY_CURRENT_USER will not be processed

Last Syntax Error:WARNING : /grant=administrators=f : Error when checking arguments - HKEY_CURRENT_USER

LookupAccountName : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:administrators 1337 Die Struktur der Sicherheitskennung ist unzulässig.

Current object HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT will not be processed

Last Syntax Error:WARNING : /grant=administrators=f : Error when checking arguments - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

System Drive...
LookupAccountName : C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools:administrators
1337 Die Struktur der Sicherheitskennung ist unzulässig.

Current object C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools will not be processed

Last Syntax Error:WARNING : /grant=administrators=f : Error when checking arguments - C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Windows Directory...
LookupAccountName : C:\Windows\*.*:administrators 1337 Die Struktur der Sicherheitskennung ist unzulässig.

Current object C:\Windows\*.* will not be processed

Last Syntax Error:WARNING : /grant=administrators=f : Error when checking arguments - C:\Windows\*.*

==========================================================================

Any idea what's wrong here?

i think that you might be having problems because of the german spelling etc.

when you goto my computer and goto c:\
do you have "program files"
or Programm legt ab
i.e. is your whole computer system including the windows file structure in german or english?
if its in german then the batch file will not run correctly as it is trying to run the script in english.

Another thing that just comes to mind is to run the reset.cmd file as administrator
you can do this by right clicking it and selecting "run as administrator"
it may be dieing because it doesnt have access.

just a thought

Thank you again.

I run it as administrator and the language thing is not the problem in my opinion.
I get the error from the subinacl tool and not from the system not finding a file.

But maybe I'm wrong...

Problem solved!

It was a language problem.
I had to use "administratoren" instead of "administrators" in the reset.cmd script.
So for german systems the script should be:

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administratoren=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administratoren=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administratoren=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administratoren=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administratoren=f /grant=system=f

After reinstalling SmartFTP it's working fine now.
Everything else seems to work fine as well.

Only one program is not working anymore: UltraMon (used for task bar extension on multi monitor systems).
I will get in touch with the developers.

Thank you again for your help.
Roli

jcmurphy, Roli: Thank you for your contributions. It's a relief for us to know that the problem is not caused by SmartFTP.

Thats cool.
just glad that i can use smartftp properly now,
have not found anything as good to use. its very reliable.

thanks for your time mb

Just rebootet the system and get the same error again.
The problem is still not solved.

try booting into safe mode and running it.
just incase there is problems with something else stopping it.

you could try and do the reset again, just in case it didnt work 100% last time.

you may have to do a remote session with mb.
send an email to support@smartftp.com requesting a remote debug session with Mat.
he great, real patient.
he will send you a debug version of smartftp to try and get the errors resolved.

just to save a bit of time,

he got me to do the following:

download the following:
https://www.smartftp.com/upload/debug3.rar
https://www.smartftp.com/upload/SmartFTPPS.rar

goto the program files directory and goto smartftp folder.

copy all the files from inside the rar files to this location.
smartftps.rar will have a few files that overwrite some in the debug3.rar file.

next, run the regall.cmd file and restart the computer.

next, goto run and type cmd
next goto the directory where you installed smartftp...
normally c:\program files\smartftp

and run one at a time:
Regsvr32.exe smartftpps.dll
Regsvr32.exe sfTransferQueue.dll

please post any errors if you get any
next restart the computer

next, goto the c:\program files\smartftp folder and directly run the smartftp.exe
you must make sure that you run it this way as some of the shortcuts that vista creates are faulty, and it tries to run the setup again.

try and do the same transfer or what ever you used to do.
then contact mb or post here if problem occurs.

Thank you jcmurphy for all your help.
I really appreciate it.

But I decided to completely reinstall the whole system. I have too many errors since my registry editing yesterday. I guess that's the best solution for me.

ok,
thats one way to fix.

just remember to install service pack 1 straight away after installing vista then install everything else, that way every program will be installed on the service pack.

also if you can, i would advise backing up your HDD after the installation just in case you have to do it again, save a bit of time.
you can clone the HDD to another or to an image file.

Jason

Just for your info, the registry fix in the above is actually nothing to do with SmartFtp.
the problem is actually in the vista install.
so you could be having other issues as well that you arent aware of, or havnt hit yet.
i would recommend doing it anyway. I had problems with my windows update service slowing down my machine, plus other abnormalities, since doing the registry fix with the subinacl utility, they have gone.
so you could think of the error in smartftp as being an identifier of an underlying issue in vista.

no worries about the fix, just glad to help!

I just installed an older version (2.5.1005.1) and it installs and works perfectly. I have never encountered any problems installing or running any other program before. Perhaps though we share the same error, the root cause differs.

One of our users contacted Microsoft regarding this problem and here is their answer:

The issue can be caused by the security programs installed on the computer or the incorrect permission settings. Let's perform the following steps to check the results:

Step 1: Disable firewalls, antivirus or other Internet browser programs
=====================================================
The following programs can affect Windows Vista SP1 installation and I suggest we disable or even uninstall them:

CA Internet Suite Firewall
Bitdefender
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall

ZoneAlarm Firewall
Download Accelerator
GetRight
Browser Blaster

BitTorrent
eMule

If you have any other similar programs, please also temporarily disable or uninstall it to test the issue. Please understand that we are disabling these programs only for the purpose of troubleshooting and we can re-enable these programs after we finish troubleshooting.

To protect the computer during the troubleshoot process, I suggest turning on the Windows Firewall. Here are the detailed steps to do so:

Windows Firewall
----------------
1. Click the Start Button, in "Start Search", type "firewall.cpl" (without quotes) then press enter. This will generate the Windows Firewall application.
2. In the Windows Firewall window, Click "Turn Windows Firewall on or off" from the left panel. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Select "On (recommended)", and then click OK.
After that, please check if Windows Vista SP1 can be successfully installed. If the issue persists, please use the following steps to check the permissions:

Step 2: Reset the permissions
=========================
1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... yDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue".

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

I am having similar error, i upgraded it to 3.0.1016.13 and now i can't upload or download it. I searched and reinstalled new version and restarted windows couple times but still not fix. any suggestion?

The fixes are above. My recommendation is to reinstall Windows.

mb, I don't know if it's only for me, but after installing your patch, my MSN doesn't connect anymore,
the sound stopped working, network problems, windows explorer problems, etc etc..
I think it's because it mess with some registers that should not mess..

I would reinstall my Windows Vista 32bits anyway, so doesn't matter that much

Hi guys.

just read the posts.
and all i can say is that i did what i said in may when ever the date was and my system is working fine.
arion, i had the same issues with the network etc, then i found the bit about the network service etc.
after i did that bit, everything worked and no probs since.

but hey, i just couldnt be bothered to re-install everything as i had so much to backup etc.....
so if you want to re-install everything thats your choice, and probably the better one if it is possible.

Mine is working fine and the verison of Smartftp is working great, a lot better than the verison 2.

have fun....

The latest version of SmartFTP includes a workaround for the Windows Vista registry permission problem:

While this solves all the problems related with SmartFTP it does not fix the underlying registry permission problem. To fix this problem contact Microsoft Support or follow the instructions at the following post: https://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.ph ... st&p=47591
It is important to note that this problem has not been caused by SmartFTP and existed before you installed SmartFTP.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP