SmartFTP crashes when attempting to close Local Browser

mrveilleux

2010-02-22 22:46:58

Since installing the newest version yesterday, whenever the Local Browser is open, SmartFTP crashes and sometimes I receive a DEP notification. Any settings, layout, or such is not saved and I can not get these to stick.

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed : 1600 MHz
Total Memory : 2038 MB
Free Memory : 865 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1072.0
Time Stamp : 2009-11-20 20:41:14
Platform : x86
Id : 400122153
Maintenance : 2011-02-22
Days in use : 716

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18882

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

uh, unknown where to find the dump log....oops on the spelling of the title

mb

2010-02-22 22:47:47

Try the latest beta version:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Then click on the [+] to see all downloads.

mrveilleux

2010-02-22 22:53:20

Yikes!!! I cringe on beta software, but I'll give it a try!

mrveilleux

2010-02-22 23:51:08

It worked only once when closing the Local Browser, then after that I get the same issue.

I did however noticed while installing the beta, it told me that Windows Explorer needed to be closed. But I did not have any WE windows open. When I selected for the program to close it, my desktop disappeared. Then I got a message that it could not close the WE application and that I needed to restart my computer. I don't think I've come across a program that required the desktop WE to be "closed". How is that possible?

Anything else I should try? Otherwise this program has become a NG for me.

mb

2010-02-23 01:17:35

Post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog.

mrveilleux

2010-02-23 02:28:07

Can you edit and omit information about my ID Key on the first post please before I resubmit the system info. I didn't realize that it shows my ID Key to eyes across the internet.

mb

2010-02-23 02:35:49

The license key id itself has no use. You can edit your previous posts if you wish though.

mrveilleux

2010-02-23 02:45:53

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed : 1600 MHz
Total Memory : 2038 MB
Free Memory : 520 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1079.0
Time Stamp : 2010-02-19 14:25:10
Platform : x86
Id : 400122153
Maintenance : 2011-02-22
Days in use : 716

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18882

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

mb

2010-02-23 02:57:20

Thank you. Please provide a crash dump:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/how- ... f2594.html

mrveilleux

2010-02-23 22:10:43

mb

2010-02-26 00:53:31

I was looking at the crash dump but unfortunately didn't find anything that would help to locate the issue.
Can you delete all files in the c:\dump folder and then try to recreate the crash again?

You can try to temporary uninstall Norton 360 to see whether this makes any changes.

Thank you
Mat

mrveilleux

2010-02-26 03:48:36

I will try again, but I do not have Norton 360 installed.

mb

2010-02-26 07:36:22

Correct. My mistake. Try to uninstall "Bluesoleil from IVT" instead. Its dlls are loaded in the SmartFTP process.

mrveilleux

2010-02-27 02:59:02

Bluesoleil from IVT is the applicatin that runs the bluetooth interface for my bluetooth devices that I use. It is intended to load with any explorer shell (like "Recycle Bin", "Network", "Control Panel" - referring to Vista OS that I use). It is labeled as "Bluetooth Places" (kinda similiar to "My Network Places" in older OSes of Windows).

SmartFTP crashes(?) when the Local Browser is closed and causes a "SmartFTP was closed - To help protect your computer, Data Execution Protection has closed SmartFTP" DEP alert message, or a "SmartFTP has stopped working - Windows can try to restart the program - Restart Program", or an "SmartFTP has stopped working - A problem has caused the application to stop working correctly. Please closed the program" alert messages. My system never hangs on any faults from SmartFTP.

I twice received this error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! - C:\...\SmartFTP.exe - This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I first disabled the bluetooth services in startup/services. But that did not work.

Then I removed the bluetooth dongle that the interface is on from the computer (USB port). But it had no effect.

In the last attempt, I unistalled the bluetooth software, and yet the result was still the same.

Keep in mind that I did a reboot on each attempt.

Since SmartFTP crashes upon closing the Local Browser (or exiting the program when the Local Browser is open in SmartFTP), I can not save settings for the Local Browser and would need to reset them each time I use SmartFTP to perform maintenance on my FTP server. SmartFTP, however, does not crash if I only have the Remote Browser open upon exiting or closing the Rmote Browser.

I did also discovered, during the course of writing up this post, that SmartFTP would "crash" in the same way as I described above when I select the "Multi-Upload" tab (with or without any browser window within SmartFTP). It is also true when I try to close any one of the 4 tabs (by closing it at the tab or unchecking it at the menu).

PS - Can you fix the title of this post (incorrectly spelled)

mb

2010-02-27 22:06:07

Please enable the debug logging:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/how- ... f2613.html

Then send us the log files right after the crash.

Can you send us a new crash dump (please have the Bluesoleil software uninstalled first)?

mrveilleux

2010-02-28 15:17:28

Good news!! I have fixed the issue plagueing SmartFTP on my system.

After several hours of looking around and prodding, I got an idea to log into another account on this computer (Administrator). I discovered that SmartFTP works on that account (in trial mode, of course). I never used SmartFTP on this account previously. So I did a side-by-side comparison of settings.

I did not find any differences, besides a couple of event popup settings (I did matched them up - but the it did not make a difference). I then read up on the backup tool, and thought maybe if I made a backup, I can attempt to superimpose the Administrator account settings onto the account that was having the SmartFTP issue. But before I started that backup, I was browsing through the menus on the account I was having SmartFTP issues, and discovered that there were many missing menu options when the Local Browser was open (e.g. Windows --> Reset Docking Pane Layout, and missing the entire Command menu).

So I proceeded to the Backup Tool application and selected the RESET option for the account that was having the SmartFTP issue. I selected to reset everything.

To my surprise, SmartFTP behaved as it should have, even when the Local Browser was open! I have been using it for several hours now and not an incident occured. Even my preferred settings are sticking like it should.

The only thing that I could come up with as to why SmartFTP did not work properly is that perhaps when I was using the old version (2.5 I believe) then upgraded to 4.0.xxx, the settings and layout was corrupted in the process.

It is a mystery, but something I do not think I would want to reproduce!

Thanks Mat for you time and patience. I am happy now!

PS I have even reinstalled my bluetooth application afterwards and it did not have any effect on SmartFTP.