SmartFTP crashes when attempting to close Local Browser

Since installing the newest version yesterday, whenever the Local Browser is open, SmartFTP crashes and sometimes I receive a DEP notification. Any settings, layout, or such is not saved and I can not get these to stick.

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed : 1600 MHz
Total Memory : 2038 MB
Free Memory : 865 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1072.0
Time Stamp : 2009-11-20 20:41:14
Platform : x86
Id : 400122153
Maintenance : 2011-02-22
Days in use : 716

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18882

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

uh, unknown where to find the dump log....oops on the spelling of the title

Yikes!!! I cringe on beta software, but I'll give it a try!

It worked only once when closing the Local Browser, then after that I get the same issue.

I did however noticed while installing the beta, it told me that Windows Explorer needed to be closed. But I did not have any WE windows open. When I selected for the program to close it, my desktop disappeared. Then I got a message that it could not close the WE application and that I needed to restart my computer. I don't think I've come across a program that required the desktop WE to be "closed". How is that possible?

Anything else I should try? Otherwise this program has become a NG for me.

Post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog.

Can you edit and omit information about my ID Key on the first post please before I resubmit the system info. I didn't realize that it shows my ID Key to eyes across the internet.

The license key id itself has no use. You can edit your previous posts if you wish though.

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed : 1600 MHz
Total Memory : 2038 MB
Free Memory : 520 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1079.0
Time Stamp : 2010-02-19 14:25:10
Platform : x86
Id : 400122153
Maintenance : 2011-02-22
Days in use : 716

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18882

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

I was looking at the crash dump but unfortunately didn't find anything that would help to locate the issue.
Can you delete all files in the c:\dump folder and then try to recreate the crash again?

You can try to temporary uninstall Norton 360 to see whether this makes any changes.

Thank you
Mat

I will try again, but I do not have Norton 360 installed.

Correct. My mistake. Try to uninstall "Bluesoleil from IVT" instead. Its dlls are loaded in the SmartFTP process.

Bluesoleil from IVT is the applicatin that runs the bluetooth interface for my bluetooth devices that I use. It is intended to load with any explorer shell (like "Recycle Bin", "Network", "Control Panel" - referring to Vista OS that I use). It is labeled as "Bluetooth Places" (kinda similiar to "My Network Places" in older OSes of Windows).

SmartFTP crashes(?) when the Local Browser is closed and causes a "SmartFTP was closed - To help protect your computer, Data Execution Protection has closed SmartFTP" DEP alert message, or a "SmartFTP has stopped working - Windows can try to restart the program - Restart Program", or an "SmartFTP has stopped working - A problem has caused the application to stop working correctly. Please closed the program" alert messages. My system never hangs on any faults from SmartFTP.

I twice received this error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! - C:\...\SmartFTP.exe - This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I first disabled the bluetooth services in startup/services. But that did not work.

Then I removed the bluetooth dongle that the interface is on from the computer (USB port). But it had no effect.

In the last attempt, I unistalled the bluetooth software, and yet the result was still the same.

Keep in mind that I did a reboot on each attempt.

Since SmartFTP crashes upon closing the Local Browser (or exiting the program when the Local Browser is open in SmartFTP), I can not save settings for the Local Browser and would need to reset them each time I use SmartFTP to perform maintenance on my FTP server. SmartFTP, however, does not crash if I only have the Remote Browser open upon exiting or closing the Rmote Browser.

I did also discovered, during the course of writing up this post, that SmartFTP would "crash" in the same way as I described above when I select the "Multi-Upload" tab (with or without any browser window within SmartFTP). It is also true when I try to close any one of the 4 tabs (by closing it at the tab or unchecking it at the menu).

PS - Can you fix the title of this post (incorrectly spelled)

Good news!! I have fixed the issue plagueing SmartFTP on my system.

After several hours of looking around and prodding, I got an idea to log into another account on this computer (Administrator). I discovered that SmartFTP works on that account (in trial mode, of course). I never used SmartFTP on this account previously. So I did a side-by-side comparison of settings.

I did not find any differences, besides a couple of event popup settings (I did matched them up - but the it did not make a difference). I then read up on the backup tool, and thought maybe if I made a backup, I can attempt to superimpose the Administrator account settings onto the account that was having the SmartFTP issue. But before I started that backup, I was browsing through the menus on the account I was having SmartFTP issues, and discovered that there were many missing menu options when the Local Browser was open (e.g. Windows --> Reset Docking Pane Layout, and missing the entire Command menu).

So I proceeded to the Backup Tool application and selected the RESET option for the account that was having the SmartFTP issue. I selected to reset everything.

To my surprise, SmartFTP behaved as it should have, even when the Local Browser was open! I have been using it for several hours now and not an incident occured. Even my preferred settings are sticking like it should.

The only thing that I could come up with as to why SmartFTP did not work properly is that perhaps when I was using the old version (2.5 I believe) then upgraded to 4.0.xxx, the settings and layout was corrupted in the process.

It is a mystery, but something I do not think I would want to reproduce!

Thanks Mat for you time and patience. I am happy now!

PS I have even reinstalled my bluetooth application afterwards and it did not have any effect on SmartFTP.