Uploads not overwriting old files/folders

I'm a new owner of SmartFTP and am having a problem with my upload settings.

I had no problem doing the first upload of my web site. However, when I went to make changes to the site, the files/folders were simply copied and did not overwrite the old files/folders. This happened even though the names of the files/folders were exactly the same as the live site.

I've looked through the forum and the help material online, but can't figure out what to do. I ended up having to delete the entire site and then upload the new site pages.

Could you give me a step-by-step help on how to fix this? I always want the new material to overwrite the old material.

Hello ..

Delete the file you want to overwrite on the server first. Then refresh the page in Internet Explorer to make sure tha the page is gone. Then upload the new file with SmartFTP.

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat,

So I always have to delete the current file or folder before I can upload the new one? Is there no overwrite or replace option in the SmartFTP settings?

What does the 'copy and replace' option mean?
How do I choose the settings I want before starting the upload?

Thanks,
Marj

Hello ..

No you don't have to delete the file first. If you select Cop&Replace the file is overwritten.

SmartFTP displays all conflicts before the transfer starts.

Regards,
Mat

I checked Copy and Replace. All the upload did was Copy the new folder/files, inserting the word Copy in front of them. It did not replace the old folders/files with the same name.

Also, how do I get to the Copy and Replace options window before deciding on which option to choose?

Marj

Here's the Help>About System Information. I'm not posting the remote browser or transfer logs because to get the upload to work correctly, I deleted everything from SmartFTP, deleted all the files and folders on the website, and set up and uploaded all the new files and folders.

Next time I change the site, I'll use the copy and replace setting and let you know if it works correctly to overwrite the existing items.

Is there some way to get to the Copy and Replace Settings so that is my default choice when uploading files?

What does 'copy' mean in Copy and Replace? I simply want to overwrite the old files and folders.

Marj

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 3591 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 2047 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1026.22
Time Stamp : 2009-03-17 21:21:06
Platform : x86
Id : 400103893
Days in use : 12

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.17.24
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.22.22
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 2.0.2.7
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.19.22
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.17.22
SmartFTPPS.dll : 3.0.1026.22

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1026.22

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.11

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

>Is there some way to get to the Copy and Replace Settings so that is my default choice when uploading files?
Yes.
1. menu: Favorites->Edit Favorites
2. Find your favorite. Look in the Quick Connect folder
3. Right-click on the favorite and select Properties from the context menu
4. Go to the Transfer->File Exist dialog
5. In the Remote Browser paragraph change the option from "Use Default Settings" to "Use Automatic Rules"
6. In the Transfer Queue File Exist section change the value to "Use Favorite Settings"
7. Click on the Edit Rules button
8. In the File Exist Rules dialog remove all rules
9. Click OK a couple of times

>Copy and Replace?
"Copy and Replace" is a synonym for "Overwrite"