Runtime Error

Using SmartFTP V.3.0 Home Eddition; Latetly having problems uploading. Proces begins, then get Runtime Error message. "This application has teminated in an unusual way...." Operating Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop. Any suggestions?

I am having the same problem. I tried downloading and installing again - but still got a Runtime Error. I'm still running Windows 2000 Prof operating system.

I only seem to get it when the backups take longer than 3 hours - as with my end-of-month backups, although it could be purely coincidental. I've done 2 end-of-month backups since upgrading, and both gave me the runtime errors after approximately 3 hours + of running. Then because it doesn't finish a particular directory (or site), it will not mark the job as finished in the Transfer queue - and I have to figure out how far it really got so I don't have to re-do the whole 3 hours worth.
BTW I've done weekly (smaller) backups at least 8 times since upgrading, with no errors.

Specifically, the runtime error is: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error - abnormal program termination".

I'm not sure how I could get you a dump, unless I run the "collector" after the job is nearing 3 hours.

Would you recommend that I revert back to an older version of SmartFTP and not upgrade because of my operating system?

Hell Sharon ..

Download the 32-bit version. To uninstall SmartFTP v3.0 go to the Start button. Then Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

Regards,
Mat

Hell Sharon ..

Download the 32-bit version. To uninstall SmartFTP v3.0 go to the Start button. Then Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

Regards,
Mat

Mat,

I uninstalled SmartFTP 3.0 using the Control Panel, then downloaded the 32-bit version and installed it. I could not open up SmartFTP. It gave me the error "smartftp.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log has been created". So then I uninstalled again, AND went to the Documents and settings folder and deleted everything there (which I believe removes all the transfer queue items). I downloaded and installed again, and was able to open it. Then I set up a remote browser, and added one item to the Temporary queue (to prepare to rebuild my backup list in the Transfer Queue that I run weekly as well as the other list I run monthly) - but as soon as it moves to the Transfer queue. I get the same "...generated errors..." message. When I open it back up, the remote browser setup is gone, and the temp and transfer queues are empty. I am unable to find the error log.

Everything was working fine until I got the emails about installing the "latest and greatest" release - with no mention of not installing it with Windows 2000. From that point on, it's been all downhill, and now I can't even get the old version to work anymore. I guess it's time to find some other software to accomplish these backups.

Hello Sharon ..

I was referring to the problem you had with version 3.0. If you would like us to take a look at it we need a crash dump or detailed instructions on how to reproduce this on a fresh installation on Windows 2000.

Regards,
Mat

Hello Sharon ..

I was referring to the problem you had with version 3.0. If you would like us to take a look at it we need a crash dump or detailed instructions on how to reproduce this on a fresh installation on Windows 2000.

Regards,
Mat

Well as I said, I can't give you a crash dump because it downloads over 3 hours before crashing. And all I can tell you to reproduce it would be to download a TON of LARGE files that will take over 3.5 hours.
I think it's time to give up and find some other software...

Thanks,
Sharon

Is this with version 3.0 or version 2.5?

You can run the crash tool before you start SmartFTP and then it will save the crash dump when it crashes.

Regards,
Mat