SmartFTP Crashes after ~50 seconds

My SmartFTP client continues to crash around 50 seconds after activation. System information below.

If I'm really quick, i can demonstrate that the product is working correctly up until the crash. For example, I can define a remote then shut down the client. open it again and the remote is started correctly, I can then transfer a file, navigate to another location, shut down the client. On restarting, everything comes back at the new location. All as long as i get the work done inside 50 seconds.

I've reviewed the board for similar problems but cannot find anything exactly matching. Might be similar to runtime or VM problems reported here but I get no such indication. The client window just disappears and any changes in configuration are not saved.
I've been suffering this with all 2.0 releases so have been looking for a solution for some time and starting to get ready to givge up or go back to 1.5.

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 1495 MHz
Total Memory : 1023 MB
Free Memory : 624 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 2.0.1002.2
Time Stamp : 2007-01-23 04:21:49
Platform : x86

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.9.5
SmartHook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 2.0.1002.2

+- System DLL -------------------------
unicows.dll : 1.0.4018.0
shell32.dll : 6.00.2900.2951 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.060713-0009)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2900.2995 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.060913-0010)
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp.060825-0040)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1221
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 6.0.2900.2180

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Hello ...

Thank you for your report. Can you reproduce this on any system or just on your particular system/configuration?

Regards,
-Mat

Hello ...

Thank you for your report. Can you reproduce this on any system or just on your particular system/configuration?

Regards,
-Mat

No, just the one system. I have a second system that closely mirrors the problem box (memory, cpu speed etc). It happily runs 2.0.2001.9. The only difference in system info from SmartFTP is the version of shlwapi.dll. I tracked back and found that this dll on the problem machine was not properly updated during a Windows update. I made the appropriate changes and now both systems mirror each other. Still have the problem.

I have a third system that I can test later today. The hardware, cpu etc is identical to the problem machine except it has half the memory. I'll download and add SmartFTP and report back in an hour or two.

I updated to SmartFTP yesterday paid for license, now neither my old v1 or new v2 works!
I am on Windows XP.
Both old and new versions connect to the outside server where my stuff is.
V2 shows both my local & distant server files -but does not respond to upload or download commands.
This is a bummer. I have no such problem on my MAC machine, but I need this Windows machine to work as well.
V1 does not even allow me to select files for upload. However I think I put my V2 key into it by mistake. How do I get my old V1 key so at least that one will work as it did before?

Hello ...

Regards,
-Mat

OK, I installed latest SmartFTP beta on the third machine (the one with identical hardware to problem machine). Left it up and running for several hours while other things were being done on the machine. When I shut the machine down around 2.00 am, it had been running for about seven hours whith no apparent ill effects to SmartFTP. Not a rigorous test but enough to show I do not have the 50 second shut-down problem.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed?

Hello ...

I think the problem is more related to your system/configuration than SmartFTP. I would recommend you to reinstall your system.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ...

I think the problem is more related to your system/configuration than SmartFTP. I would recommend you to reinstall your system.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ...

Please provide a movie showing the problem. You can use CamStudio (Free) to create it:
http://www.camstudio.org/

Regards,
SmartFTP

We might be able to see something on the movie that causes the problem. It's a plain guess of course. Another option would be to run a remote debugger on your system but this is a more complicated process.
Regards,
-Mat

To limit the causes stop the Transfer Queue. Then restart the application (the Transfer Queue should be stopped after the restart) to see if it makes any change. Please post your findings.
Thank you.
If your time allows you can also test it with the latest Beta version from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,
-Mat

I believe the problem is related to a shell extension which is loaded when you open a Local Browser.
A short explanation of shell extensions can be found at:
http://www.answers.com/topic/shell-extension

The only way we can debug the problem is with a remote debug session. Please let me know if you have time and interest to do this.

Regards,
-Mat