SITE CHMOD fails on filenames with spaces

When I upload files to our company's (Linux) server, write permission is given only to the file owner. Using Properties/CHMOD in the right-click context menu allows me to set the group write permission bit, except that this doesn't work if the filename has spaces:

[15:46:14] SITE CHMOD 664 Section 4 Dual Tuning Sensors.doc
[15:46:14] 500-'SITE CHMOD 664 Section 4 Dual Tuning Sensors.doc' not understood.
[15:46:14] 500 SITE not understood.

If I copy the SITE CHMOD command to the command line window and put quotes (") around the filename, the SITE CHMOD command works fine. Can SmartFTP be modified to automatically place quotes around file names containing spaces?

Also, it would be very handy if one could specify the default permissions for uploaded files.

Thanks,
Larry Hawkins

I believe to remember that some FTP servers don't like the quotes around the filename in the SITE CHMOD command. What FTP server software is running on your linux box?

Thanks
-Mat

Regarding the upload mask (umask). What other FTP client offers this feature? Please also explain a situation where a umask would be helpful?

Regards,
-Mat

Mat,
We are running ProFTPD 1.2.5

Thanks,
Larry Hawkins

I do not have a good general solution as some servers - as said before - don't like the quotes and for some it's mandatory for files with spaces. The syntax of the SITE CHMOD command looks like this:
SITE CHMOD <numeric> <string>
Even if the quotes around the string are missing there is only one correct interpretation.

Regards,
-Mat

OK, I understand the problem. Sounds like something that might qualify for a settable option, though, since some servers want the quotes and some don't.

Larry Hawkins