PRE-SALES QUESTION: some files and folders are not visible

I just downloaded the trial version of SmartFTP and connected to a client's Web site. I'm not seeing all the files and folders. When I use the File Manager in CPanel, there are all kinds of things that show up there that do not show up in SmartFTP. What is wrong? How do I get everything to show up?

This is a pre-sales question. I cannot buy this program without a resolution to this question, so please answer.

Please post the complete log.

The server by default may only return the first 2000 files. So that's a problem on the server side. To fix it contact your web hosting provider and ask them to increase the limit or move the files into sub folders.

Regards,
Mat

Please post the complete log.

The server by default may only return the first 2000 files. So that's a problem on the server side. To fix it contact your web hosting provider and ask them to increase the limit or move the files into sub folders.

Regards,
Mat

We cross posted. I added the log to my previous post.

Is there any way around this limit? The developer who worked on this site before me said he's using SmartFTP and professed to have no problems at all in accessing the site.

From the log you sent me it doesn't look that there are more than 54 items in the root folder. But if you say you have 4000 files in one folder and the server only returns the first 2000 only, then you need to contact your web hosting provider. They can change this limit. If they are not willing to do that you have to move the files into different folders.

Regards,
Mat

I just looked in CPanel, and these 4000+ files are not all in the root. I don't know why it's not letting me see everything that's in the root. There's a folder under public_html, for example, called api that does not appear in SmartFTP, but is right there in CPanel's file manager.

Some FTP server do not implement MLSD (machine readable listing) correctly and do not include the hidden files. Thus you have to switch back to the old LIST command.

It means that the folder is hidden.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks for the explanation.

I wonder why this folder and so many of the other files on the site are marked as hidden. Aren't hidden files supposed to be system files that you don't modify? These are the main scripts on the site. How did they come to be hidden?

I'm still having problems with it. I tried to download this folder, and it says it doesn't exist. But it does exist in CPanel. Log:

[18:51:12] Detected Server Software: PureFTPd
[18:51:12] PWD
[18:51:12] 257 "/" is your current location
[18:51:12] CWD /public_html/api
[18:51:12] 550 Can't change directory to /public_html/api: No such file or directory

Also, there are other files that are still missing. the wp-content directory has many more files in it than are shown in SmartFTP. I can see them in CPanel.

Maybe you cannot access it through FTP. I would talk to your web hosting provider and ask them about it.

It turned out to be a configuration problem on the server - nothing to do with SmartFTP at all.