Does anyone have time to help a newbie?

Hi folks,

A total noob here and desperately in need of help. For some reason I can't do anything. I have watched the tutorials numberious times, but can not seem to do it. My server host is Host Gator. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get FTP up and running, please?

Post the log of your FTP session.

Regards,
Mat

Post the log of your FTP session.

Regards,
Mat

It says I don't have any. That is probably because after seeing the screens didn't match up, I back out of everything. I was afraid I would mess something up.

You have to describe your problem in detail and then post a log.

sally the support team here is excellent, they have the patience to solve it for you, but you have to precise and clear with your problem.

Hi folks,

OK, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, but now it will not connect to the server, it searches for ever. Any ideas. Boy it is sure hard to teach an old dog new tricks.(lol)

Please post the log from your ftp session.

Regards,
Mat

It still says nothing. I turned off all spyware and firewall, from reading other posts. Still it keeps serching.

Thank you, I will do that now.

Thanks, I didn't notice that before. Here it is, But that's not my IP address. Do I need to put in my site address or my hosts address?

[21:03:57] SmartFTP v3.0.1022.37
[21:03:57] Resolving host name "ftp.hostgator.com"
[21:03:57] Connecting to 67.18.54.2 Port: 21
[21:03:58] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
[21:03:58] Client closed the connection.
[21:03:58] Connect failed. Waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:03:58] Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58
[21:04:29] Connection attempt 2...
[21:04:29] Resolving host name "ftp.hostgator.com"
[21:04:29] Connecting to 67.18.54.2 Port: 21
[21:04:30] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
[21:04:30] Client closed the connection.
[21:04:30] Connect failed. Waiting to retry (30s)...
[21:04:30] Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58
[21:04:42] Aborted by user.

Take your time, no rush. I'm going to bed and starting this with a fresh head tomorrow. Have a good night.

I cannot connect to this host either:
C:\Users\mb>ftp ftp.hostgator.com
> ftp: connect :Connection refused
ftp>

Maybe it's a temporary problem with the server or you have to get the correct host name from hostgator.

Regards,
Mat

FTP will not stop searching. When I hit the abort button, I does nothing. What do I do? Should I delete the program and start over?

Whoo Hoo!!! I did it, I'm so excited

OK dumb question. How do you if you were successful in the upload. everything looks the same to me. When I went into file mgr, There were a lot more files. I guess I was expecting the site to come with maybe blank pages or something.