Password protect the program

I'd like to be able to password protect Smart FTP so I can use it on my laptop when I'm out and about without the risk of loosing / having my laptop stolen and someone deleting all my sites etc.
Really need this badly otherwise I cant install it on my laptop.

Jamo

You should password protection your user account instead. And even better encrypt the favorite/site files with EFS.

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat, I have maybe 50 ftp accounts on the program all of which are passworded and secure stored in favorites for easy access, thats my point, anyone can access them if they get my laptop! you can get past xp passwords easy enough.
I want more protection.

Jamo

You should password protection your user account instead. And even better encrypt the favorite/site files with EFS.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks Mat, but its more of a quick fix than a proper program lead solution that I hoped for as a feature... that would be user friendly quick and simple.

If the smartftp developers added a simple to use feature like this I believe people would use it when the circumstance is right, after all it protects data and what better feature could they use to encourage people to buy their product.

Wont be using the program on my laptop when on the road then cos I'd like to sleep at night knowing my clients sites are safe from the possibility of some thief who felt like having some fun before selling my laptop on for 50 bucks.

It cant be hard to deploy now can it? but for me its a great program with this killer feature missing.

jamo

Ps, using Xp Home on the laptop so no native windows encryption with EFS. This is a real security issue imho.

Jamo

Hey,
I'm using TrueCrypt (truecrypt.org) to encrypt sensitive data.
On boot up, I enter the password to mount the partition.
Also my SmartFTP data is stored there.

So you can only access the data when the partition is already mounted.

You can also encrypt the whole system partition with TrueCrypt if you want to.

But a password protection with encrypted config database would be great so protect the active windows session.

jan.itor