How To encrypt data files
There are two methods to encrypt the data files (Favorites, Custom Commands)
Method: Encrypted File System (EFS)
Applies To: All supported operating systems but Windows XP Home
- Open Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
- Locate the application data folder. Open the Settings dialog from the menu: Tools -> Settings. It's the Application Data Folder in in the General dialog The default location is %APPDATA%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0.
- Right-click on the folder and click on Properties from the context menu.
- In the General tab of the Properties dialog click on the Advanced button.
- In the Advanced dialog check the Encrypt contents to secure data option.
- Click OK and the files will get encrypted.
Applies To: All operating systems
- Download and install TrueCrypt from http://www.truecrypt.org
- Setup a new TrueCrypt volume. Refer to the TrueCrypt documentation.
How to Create and Use a TrueCrypt container
- Start SmartFTP
- Go to menu: Tools -> Settings
- In the General dialog change the Application Data Folder to a folder on the encrypted drive
- Restart SmartFTP
Where are the .dat files located?
What do you think about this topic? Send feedback!