Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)
UPnP can solve NAT (Network Address Translation) connection problems with active (PORT) mode.
The client is behind a NAT and wants to connect to an FTP server supporting PORT mode only (because the server is behind a NAT as well or due to security / firewall policies). In this case without UPnP the ports have to be manually enabled and forwarded in the NAT router and a port range has to be defined in the FTP client configuration. With the new (UPnP) feature everything is automatically handled for the user.
UPnP Advantages and FTP
- Detect External IP Address (Send correct IP address in PORT command)
- Dynamic Port Mappings (Add/Remove port mappings on the fly)
The ports are only opened as long as they are needed. The UPnP mappings are automatically removed when the transfer is finished or aborted.
- Select Favorites > Edit Favorites from the SmartFTP menu. The SmartFTP Favorites window appears.
- From the SmartFTP Favorites window select the Favorite of interest. Right click on the Favorite and select Properties. The Properties dialog appears.
- Under the FTP option select Connection. From the Connection tab under Data Connection you can enable UPnP for the selected Favorite.
Note: The change is saved and active for future FTP sessions of this favorite item.
What do you think about this topic? Send feedback!