view or remote edit edits wrong file

When doing a view of a remote file (or edit) by right clicking on the file i.e. purchase.aspx and clicking View, then clicking start in the transfer queue, the wrong file is viewed or edited. The destination lists c:\users\flo\appdata\local\temp\54f9b8a8\purchase.aspx in the transfer queue, but the actual file edited after notepad is opened is c:\inetpub\wwwroot\purchase.aspx, the original source file. This is apparent by clicking save as in notepad to see the file it opened. I don't want to view the original file on my pc, I want to view the remote file on the web server. I am using Windows Vista Business SP1. Please advise. This didn't happen before version 3.0. The clipboard follows:
+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition
Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

CPU Speed : 1691 MHz
Total Memory : 893 MB
Free Memory : 427 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1016.19
Time Stamp : 2008-06-11 08:35:18
Platform : x86
Unlicensed
Days in use : 233

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.30
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.12.19
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.13
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.9.19
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.7.19

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1016.19

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.6001.18000

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

The download for the link you posted's exe file did not function. It did not respond when running it. I downloaded version 3.0.1022.5 from download.com. After spending 2 hours on it (uninstalling it, etc.), it didn't solve the problem. View still views c:\inetpub\wwwroot\purchase.aspx in notepad, not the remote file. Now I'm told I have to pay for this partially functioning version. It is also surprising that uninstalling and reinstalling does not start from scratch. All temporary values were retained (server name, account, password, etc.). One positive remark; your messages boards are admirable for a formerly free product. Here is the current clipboard:
+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition
Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

CPU Speed : 1691 MHz
Total Memory : 893 MB
Free Memory : 317 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1022.6
Time Stamp : 2008-08-26 00:41:09
Platform : x86
Unlicensed
Days in use : 235

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.44
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.18.6
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.13
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.15.6
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.13.6
SmartFTPPS.dll : 3.0.1022.6

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1022.6

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.6001.18000

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Hello ..

Remote edit works as following:
1. File is downloaded to a temporary folder on your computer. Usually to a folder in the temp folder
2. Editor is started and loads the file
3. As soon as you save the file in the editor it is uploaded to the server

It is not possible to "directly" edit the file on the server with the FTP protocol. Thus every FTP client uses the mechanism described above for its "Remote Edit" feature.

If you use notepad to edit your files I recommend you to try a better editor. E.g. Notepad++
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/notepa ... g_mirror=0

You can then use NotePad++ by right-clicking on the file on the server and then select Edit With...->Notepad++ from the context.

>Uninstall/reinstall does not remove sites
This is by design and it makes sense not to delete the sites when uninstalling/reinstalling an application.

>Download links
If you are having problems accessing our web servers you can also get the latest version from the FTP server:
ftp://ftp.smartftp.com/Client/x86/SFTPMSI.exe

Regards,
Mat

Yes but when the editor is started after edit or view it loads the wrong file, not the temporary one. I found a workaround, and that is to right click on the file in the transfer queue, then click Destination, Local, Default Folder. This brings up the file from the FTP server.

Try to enable the [x] Always overwrite local file option in the menu: Tools->Settings. Then in the Remote Edit dialog.

Regards,
mat