Favourites bug/problem

Hi,

I go to edit favourites (Ctrl-E), the window doesn't contain any of the favourite items or folders which are listed on the favourites drop down menu. Apart from the actual panes and toolbars etc, it's completely blank.

I also cannot create any new folders or favourites using this dialog as those options are ghosted out and inactive.

Sometimes when I click somewhere in this window, the whole application crashes and restarts.

I only upgraded to version 3 because in 2.5, if you switched to "details" view, it displayed all the text in white on white - so it was impossible to see.

I'm using Vista 32bit and build 3.0.1016.13 of SmartFTP, which appears to be current at time of writing.

Nick...

Please delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP
using regedit.exe

and try again.

Regards,
Mat

Please delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP
using regedit.exe

and try again.

No different
(well, a few things have changed with the layout - but it hasn't fixed the problems above)

I can send you a screenshot if it helps...

Nick...

Did you restart your computer after the installation of SmartFTP?

Yes please post a screenshot.

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

I might give a small hint perhaps

1. SmartFTP completely removed
2. Reinstalled into C:\Programs\SmartFTP
3. Changed favorites to C:\Programs\SmartFTP, saved, closed SmartFTP
4. Reopened SmartFTP, attempted to change favorites
5a. Browse button opens C:\Programs\SmartFTP location, but if I go to root and try to click through to the same folder the folder is invisible
5b. Direct entry C:\Programs\SmartFTP\Favorites crashes the program
5c. Same happens with any random 'new folder'
6. Deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP and #5 had same results
7. I checked the hidden files and I found a pesky desktop.ini containing
[.ShellClassInfo]

CLSID={39DD67E0-73B6-4a11-AF55-49E1EBBF72BE}
8. Removed desktop.ini
9. Changing favorites works as before and C:\Programs\SmartFTP is visible again

Here's a screenshot of the problem, showing the empty favourites editor and disabled "new favourite" option:

I do not have any desktop.ini file in my SmartFTP program folder.

Did you follow all the steps from "Searcher"'s instructions?

Did you follow all the steps from "Searcher"'s instructions?

Ok, I've just fixed it. I had to reinstall it again for some reason (BTW the installer under Vista is really messy - it prompts you to kill explorer.exe but then does not restart it again after installation completes! A lot of users would get stuck at this point as they have no start bar and no menus and they would probably end up turning their computer off by holding down the power button.

I do not think it should kill explorer.exe there is no point as you need to restart anyway.

Nick...

Hello ..

I'm glad you could resolve it by folllowing the instructions above.
The installer being used is the Microsoft Installer (MSI). Maybe you want to contact Microsoft regarding suggestions you have about their product.

Regards
Mat