No transfers and no error messages

Hi, I just upgraded to v3.0.1016.7

I cannot transfer files with menus, drag and drop, view, edit, open, edit with, open with or print.

Nothing happens, no errors, no log entries, nothing.

I am using Vista Business 32bit.

Version 2 worked fine.

I uninstalled v2 and v3 and removed any trace of SmartFTP I could find, then reinstalled v3 but still no transfers.

Any ideas much appreciated!

It might be related to this problem:
Cannot-open...ror-t14619.html
Thanks for replying mb.

In that thread they are receiving an error window (post 1), I get nothing .

I have installed the latest version (post 2)

I am not using 64bit (post 3)

Post 10 looks like it is changing permissions of important files and registry entries on my PC - I don't feel comfortable with that and I suspect many other users would not - other ftp programs (in fact any other software I know) doesn't require me to do this.

Version 2 worked so why is this necessary for version 3? Is this a bug? If so, if the fix is a way off can I downgrade? I was really looking forward to trying out the multi-edit feature - oh hum, never mind - keep up the good work!

Despite my concerns I followed the steps in this thread (after backing up my registry) and re-installed v3.

Wow it looks great, and it worked!

Then I got everything set up how I wanted it, closed SmartFTP and restarted it and I am back to square one. Any kind of transfer attempt doesn't even make the transfer queue

Any ideas? I want to register as soon as I can get it working.

All users so far suffering from this problem had a broken Windows Vista installation. We don't know how this happens (maybe Microsoft knows) but applying the acl fix or reinstalling the system usually fixes the problem. I'm sorry that I cannot give you more helpful instructions.

Regards,
Mat

All users so far suffering from this problem had a broken Windows Vista installation. We don't know how this happens (maybe Microsoft knows) but applying the acl fix or reinstalling the system usually fixes the problem. I'm sorry that I cannot give you more helpful instructions.

Regards,
Mat

I appreciate you trying - I really like this software and would like to purchase it as my ftp program of choice.

Is my problem like others? I don't get any error messages. It just ignores any download commands (view,open,print,edit,open with, edit with).

Interestingly it does display previews

The latest version does not show a dialog/error anymore. The subacl thing is very risky but it turned out to be the only solution. It's definitively a problem with Windows Vista. There are thousands of reports of users having the same problem with Windows Vista and other applications as well (Office, Skype, Adobe, etc). My personal recommendation is to reinstall Windows Vista since there is an underlying problem with your installation. I know this is rather radical step but it might turn out to be the best.

Regards,
Mat

The latest version does not show a dialog/error anymore. The subacl thing is very risky but it turned out to be the only solution. It's definitively a problem with Windows Vista. There are thousands of reports of users having the same problem with Windows Vista and other applications as well (Office, Skype, Adobe, etc). My personal recommendation is to reinstall Windows Vista since there is an underlying problem with your installation. I know this is rather radical step but it might turn out to be the best.

Regards,
Mat

As MD of a software company I am concerned that you are directing people to a risky and potentially dangerous procedure without indicating it is dangerous and giving no instruction to backup their registry. Against my better judgement I followed your instructions which stopped Outlook from working. I have since restored my registry (yes I backed it up) which has solved my Outlook problem.

So before I (and other readers of this post) spend around 3 days re-installing Vista and all the software I need and my data, what are the details of the problem and how have you diagnosed that "Vista is broken" and the only way to fix it is a complete reinstall?

I have no intention of re-installing Vista because in my view it is not broken - all other software I use (which is a lot in my profession and includes Office, Skype, Adobe, etc that you mention) works perfectly. Only SmartFTP v3 doesn't work. Even SmartFTP v2 worked!

I suspect the issue is nothing to do with Vista being broken, it is more likely a software compatibility issue. Do you platform test on different operating systems? Do you check your software against other common software such as firewalls?

So since I cannot use your software I am afraid I will not be buying it anytime soon. I will however download the latest version periodically to check if you have solved the real problem. It is after all a great FTP program. If you want to remote desktop share or need any further information from me to help you investigate further, I would be more than happy to help.

I would recommend you edit the post that instructs people to run this dangerous routine and state it is risky and also explain to people less technically savvy how and what they should backup if they decide to go ahead.

In the meantime I leave readers with a warning. Think twice about running operating system level hacking routines just because you were directed to in a forum. If you must, ALWAYS back everything up unless you are prepared to lose everything.

If you are not technical and you are directed to reinstall your operating system, seek advice - it is all too easy to underestimate the time it will take to get your computer back to its former state or to lose information such as personal files, software license keys, emails, settings, drivers, etc.

This was a user contributed fix which fixed the problem for him. Your problem might be different and nobody gave a guarantee that the fix works for you. It worked for many users but it might not work for you. There is a clearly an underlying problem if you suffer from the same problems as the other users. e.g. regsvr32 sfTransferQueue.dll fails etc. Also a quick Google search returns that thousands of users are suffering from similar problems with other applications.
We leave it up to you whom or what you want to believe but there are very strong indicators that the problems is rooted in the operating system itself and has nothing to do with the applications (in this case SmartFTP). All we are trying to do is help you to solve your problems using our product.
Regards,
Mat

This was a user contributed fix which fixed the problem for him. Your problem might be different and nobody gave a guarantee that the fix works for you. It worked for many users but it might not work for you. There is a clearly an underlying problem if you suffer from the same problems as the other users. e.g. regsvr32 sfTransferQueue.dll fails etc. Also a quick Google search returns that thousands of users are suffering from similar problems with other applications.
We leave it up to you whom or what you want to believe but there are very strong indicators that the problems is rooted in the operating system itself and has nothing to do with the applications (in this case SmartFTP). All we are trying to do is help you to solve your problems using our product.
Regards,
Mat

Thanks,

I don't think my problem is the same - as I have said I get no error messages either during installation or when the program is running. It is just ignoring any attempt to view, edit, open, open with, edit with. It does however show previews (so there must be some kind of download happening). I can provide a screen capture as requested, but I cant see it would be revealing, since there is no error message or visual feedback as to why the commands are being ignored.

I realise the "fix" was user submitted, but I was directed there by you. However, I am not being negative, I just think that thread should be noted (as above perhaps) to stop people jumping in without thinking or backing up or without knowing the possible consequences.

So, I would be happy to help in any way I can to help diagnose this problem. Just let me know.

1. Open a command line and run as administrator
2. Go to the SmartFTP program files folder and type regsvr32.exe sfTransferQueue.dll or any other com servers in the folder (e.g. sfFavorites.dll, SmartFTPPS.dll)

If this fails you have a registry issue.

Regards
Mat

Are you able to register our COM objects? If not what is the error message?

I'm not sure what you have installed but if you have used the MSI setups everything is as it should. It means all registry keys will be removed when upgrading etc.
Run the registry monitor from sysinternals http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... egmon.mspx
and check where the registration of the COM server fails.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Could you please try to use regmon when executing the following command:
regsvr32.exe sfTransferQueue.dll

regmon has the registry path in the output. I'm not sure if procmon does it as well but I cannot see it in your log.

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

Ah I see. Thank you for the log but it does only contain the registry from the cmd.exe process. What we are looking for is the registry activity from the regsvr32.exe process. You need to setup a filter in ProcMon to filter everything but from the processes named "regsvr32.exe".

Regards,
Mat

Thanks Mat,

I have replaced the file with the new log - the previous link will open the new log.

Thanks. The problem is the following part:

37536 19:53:22.2108840 regsvr32.exe 6028 RegCreateKey HKCR\sfTransferQueue.TransferQueueItemSubItem.1 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Read/Write
37538 19:53:22.2109089 regsvr32.exe 6028 RegCreateKey HKCR\sfTransferQueue.TransferQueueItemSubItem.1 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Read/Write

As you can see regsvr32.exe has no access to create the registry keys.

Conclusion: Assuming that you are running regsvr32.exe under Administration privileges it is a registry problem as I guessed in my first reply. I have also posted the "solution" from Microsoft support in the other post I previously pointed you to: https://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.ph ... 0&start=20

Regards,
Mat