Remote Tree Not Refreshing

Not an FTP or transfer que log issue, but more of a UI issue still present in build 1013.

In a remote viewer, create a new folder. Notice "New Folder" is displayed at the bottom of the remote's directory listing (right pane), but NOT in the tree view (left) pane. Highlight "New Folder" and rename to anything, ei "test." Notice in the tree view there still is no "test" folder.

Press F5 to refresh the dir. listing. Notice the "test" folder is now resorted and displayed among the other folders, BUT STILL DOES NOT APPEAR in the tree view.

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information:
Thanks.

bei mir ist das selbe Problem, hier meine System-Informationen:

+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 

Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed		   : 2992 MHz

Total Memory		: 2047 MB

Free Memory		 : 1428 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version			 : 3.0.1013.2

Time Stamp		  : 2008-04-16 11:14:04

Platform			: x86

Unlicensed

Days in use		 : 338

+- Application DLL --------------------

sfFTPLib.dll		: 1.5.13.1

sfFavorites.dll	 : 1.0.9.2

sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9

sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.6.2

sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.4.2

+- Language ---------------------------

SmartFTPDEU.dll	 : 3.0.1013.2

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version			 : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock			 : 2.2

Original poster's info...

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 2589 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 1311 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1013.0
Time Stamp : 2008-04-12 06:42:54
Platform : x86
Unlicensed
Days in use : 7

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.12.44
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.9.0
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.6.0
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.4.0

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1013.0

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.11

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Bug confirmed. We are working on a fix.

Thanks
Mat

Please try it with the latest version:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

We are not sure if we have addressed the bug in this version since we were no longer able to reproduce it.

Regards,
Mat

I have installed the new new version and I am still experiencing the same issue.

I'm sorry but bugs that we are unable to reproduce cannot be fixed. If you restart your computer does it work for some time?

Regards,
Mat

Nope doesn't work even after restart. I did a restart immediately after installing the latest beta and not change.

The steps I'm doing are:

1. Open SmartFTP
2. Connect / Login
3. Add folder
-- folder does not show up in the tree
4. Close SmartFTP

1. Open SmartFTP
2. Connect / Login
-- folder exists that was created last time, in both the tree and file list
3. Delete folder, by click in the tree and clicking the button
-- tree still shows folder and stays in that folder in the file browser
4. Clicking on parent folder
-- folder not showing in file list
5. Refresh
-- no change (shows in tree, but not in file list)

I'm running 3.0.1013.8

Let me know if you need anything else.

1013.8 Tree Refresh Bug CONFIRMED per the steps above and those following below.

It appears you can force a tree refresh to show the added folder by double-clicking on the folder in the file list. This, of course, takes you inside the folder.

Next, go back up to the parent folder and rename the new folder in the file list. The folder name is then instantly updated in the tree.
Rename again, this time in the tree and the name change appears in the file list.

Next, delete the folder in file list. FTP commands sent:

[00:25:50] RMD test3
[00:25:50] 250 The directory was successfully removed

and the folder is removed from the file list, but still shows in the tree.

Next, try deleting the folder again... FTP log says
[00:10:41] RMD test3
[00:10:41] 550 Can't remove directory: No such file or directory

However, click on any other existing folder in the parent folder in the tree and FTP commands are issued to get the directory listing (assuming first time viewing, otherwise list is cached) as follows:

[00:17:40] CWD /tmp/cpu_exceeded_logs
[00:17:40] 250 OK. Current directory is /tmp/cpu_exceeded_logs
[00:17:40] PWD
[00:17:40] 257 "/tmp/cpu_exceeded_logs" is your current location
[00:17:40] TYPE A
[00:17:40] 200 TYPE is now ASCII
[00:17:40] PASV
[00:17:40] 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,89,21,61,68,182)
[00:17:40] Opening data connection to 69.89.21.61 Port: 17590
[00:17:40] LIST -aL
[00:17:40] 150 Accepted data connection
[00:17:40] 226-Options: -a -l
[00:17:40] 226 2 matches total
[00:17:40] 119 bytes transferred. (762 bytes/s) (156 ms)

Try doing that for the new folder... No ftp commands are sent since it's "directory listing" though empty, is cached. However, close the tab for the remote site, then reconnect (using entry in Favorites) and the deleted folder still appears, but now when you click on it in tree view, these ftp commands are sent...

[00:17:21] PWD
[00:17:21] 257 "/" is your current location
[00:17:21] CWD /tmp/test3
[00:17:21] 550 Can't change directory to /tmp/test3: No such file or directory

The only way to "clear the cached directory listing" is to exit and restart SFTP.

We are still unable to reproduce it. We think it's related to other products/applications installed on the system.

Can you reproduce the bug in a fresh installation of Windows XP? e.g. in a virtual machine?

Regards,
mat

Update: I have installed a virtual machine and tested without an windows updates (not even SP1) and the tree refreshes. It refreshes when I saw "new folder" and adds "new folder" to the tree. I then change the name and it refreshes again. I noticed it doesn't put it in alphabetical order, but I'm not sure if it should.

I am installing all the updates and will test after each group of updates.

All the windows updates have been installed and the tree still refreshes.

Any ideas what software might cause the problem, so I can install it on the vm and see if I can get it to happen?

Derril: If we know we could reproduce the bug here :-(

It might be a shell extension, a software firewall or antivirus product.

I can confirm that creating a new folder in a remote directory, and leaving the new folder name as is by default (New Folder)
the new folder suddenly disappears. Doesn't happens assigning to the new folder a different name (eg. New Folder1)

Whiteshark: This is how it is supposed to be.

Well I don't have a software firewall or antivirus on any machine that can reproduce it. I have tried installing TortiseSVN and NuSphere PhpEd and both didn't break it. I am now installing some other windows updates.

Would it have anything to do with upgrading from SmartFTP 2.5?

If you just press enter after creating a new folder, so it will keep the name "New Folder" it vanishes. I think it should stay so it matches other programs.

I don't think it has anything to do with upgrading from SmartFTP 2.5. It's probably another application which causes the conflict.

>New Folder
The difference is that other applications do act on the local file system which typically does have no delays in creating a folder. If you do the same on the FTP server, the folder will be created and then later renamed. I'm not sure if this is the better solution.

Regards,
Mat

Oh something else. I hope you use undo disk for your virtual machine? Because if you do and have identified the application that very likely causes the problem you can reproduce it (install the application) again without setting up a new VM.

Regards,
Mat

I have installed all of the same applications (except for instant messaging and Hamachi) but have been unable to reproduce the problem. The only thing different now is that SmartFTP hasn't been upgraded from 2.5

derril reported that he was able to resolve the problem by deleting/renaming the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP

Regards,
Mat

Kind of...sent you another email MB.

Hello ..

We have found and fixed the bug:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Thank you for all your reports and persistence with this issue.

Regards,
Mat

Thxs MB

Not so fast. You may have added a fresh new insect.

Version 1014.6 doesn't like directories with a .to in the name anymore. i.e. "/html/domain.to" refuses to transfer any more information. (0 bytes)

Chester: Open a new thread and post a complete bug report.