Problems with Editing

If I try to edit a file in Smart FTP 3.0 using Notepad++ then it will simply not upload after I save it, SmartFTP will just keep the monitoring status.

Also unless I have the tick box "Remember Current Session for Next Launch" uncheck (Ticked by default) then SmartFTP will not stop monitoring the file after I click close.

Please post your system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" menu.

The monitor item is removed after you close the editor in case the editor doesn't use a loader. But if Notepad++ is already open SmartFTP doesn't know when you are closing the tab inside Notepad++.
All temporary monitor items will be removed once you close SmartFTP.

I just installed Notepad++ and tested it and I couldn't reproduce the problem. Does it happen after a while or all the time?

Regards
Mat

Thank you. I wasn't questioning your report but if we cannot reproduce it we cannot find the reason for the behavior you see.

Could you post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog?

Try to figure out under what conditions it works and under what it doesn't. E.g. try to edit the file with a different editor example (e.g. notepad.exe).

Regards,
Mat

SmartFTP will only correctly monitor files if only 1 file in Notepad++ is open, if SmartFTP is monitoring more than 1 file in Notepad++ then when I save it SmartFTP will not upload. Like I said before I need to untick Remember Current Session for Next Launch which is enabled by default for SmartFTP to stop monitoring the file when I close Notepad++.

If I use notepad.exe then I can open and edit as many files as I want and they will correctly upload when I save changes.

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
(Build 6000)

CPU Speed : 1800 MHz
Total Memory : 893 MB
Free Memory : 152 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1010.12
Time Stamp : 2008-03-13 16:20:41
Platform : x86

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.12.30
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.6.12
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.3.12
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.12

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1010.12

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.6000.16609

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Thank you.
I just tried it again myself. I can edit multiple files with NotePad++ and SmartFTP detects the changes.

If you edit 3 files do you have 3 items in the Transfer Queue? If this is not the case please get the latest version of the beta:
https://www.smartftp.com/download
It waits a bit longer during the loader detection to prevent the monitor items to be removed too fast.

I don't understand how the "Remember Current Session" option is related? SmartFTP automatically stops monitoring all the files when you close it - regardless of any option. It means the "Monitor" items in the Transfer Queue get removed on close.

Regards,
Mat

Editing multiple files seems to be fixed and they all upload when a change is made, for now, but if Remember Current Session for Next Launch is ticked then Smart FTP still won't end all of the monitors if editing multiple files.

If I tell you I don't understand what you mean with the "Remember Current Session" option you may want to try to explain it better or in different words. I would like to reiterate that this setting is not related to the monitored items.

The "Remember Current Session" option will open up by default the files which you were last looking at.

Eg. If I close Notepad++ with 4 files open in it's tabs then when I start Notepad++ again then they will be automatically reopened again.

To access this option go to:

Settings > Preferences > MISC, it's in the bottom left.

Ah you are talking about an option from Notepad++. SmartFTP doesn't know what Notepad++ is doing. You need to manually remove the monitor items if you open multiple files with Notepad++. Maybe there is an option in Notepad++ to open a new instance instead of reusing an existing one.

Yes it can easily be fixed by unticking the Remember Session Box but I don't think it will be that obvious for other users. You may need a message box notice when Notepad++ is selected as a text editor in Smart FTP.

I'd like to chime in on this if I could. I also have problems when editing multiple files in NP++ and one or more of them is being monitored by SmartFTP. I am also using CoreFTP and it has no problems with this at all. CoreFTP' edit in place works as expected all the time. (However, it doesn't begin to compare to SmartFTP's GUI!!). Because of this edit in place issue, I have begun using CoreFTP when I want to edit files in place and SmartFTP for all of my other file transfers.

What problems do you have exactly?
What editor do you use in CoreFTP?
If you use NotePad++ you have exactly the same problems as in SmartFTP. CoreFTP keeps on monitoring the file after you have closed the editor. You don't see the monitored items but you can easily test it by editing the files CoreFTP created in the temporary folder.

Mat

A small suggestion, can Smart FTP check to see if a file has been saved if a file is closed?