Cannot upload

With the last 2 builds of the Version 3 beta I have not been able to upload anything. It displays a CWD command in the log and includes the filename, then gives an error there is no such file or directory. I have duplicated this on 4 machines, so something is wrong, or I am doing something wrong.

Post the system information from the menu: Help->About System Information.

Please describe how you upload. The items should be added to the Transfer Queue.

Regards,
Mat

Post the system information from the menu: Help->About System Information.

Please describe how you upload. The items should be added to the Transfer Queue.

Regards,
Mat

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3, v.3311 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 2412 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 1439 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1009.19
Time Stamp : 2008-02-18 06:36:45
Platform : x86

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.12.26
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.5.19
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.0.0
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.2.19
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.0.19

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1009.19

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.13

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

This is the system info from one machine. I have also had this problem on an XP SP2 machine, and 2 Vista machines. Earlier builds of Beta 3 did not have this problem. I drag a file from the desktop to an open connection on the FTP server. I have also tried this with 2 different FTP servers. This works fine on the current 2.5 build of SmartFTP. I can provide system info from other machines, if needed.

Thank you.
Is the file being added to the Transfer Queue at all?

You may want to try version .20
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,
Mat

No, it isn't adding to the transfer queue. I will try the new one. Thanks.

Same problem with the new one. The file is never added to the transfer queue. I know this worked on earlier builds. Now every time I try to upload a file, the log shows a CWD command with the path/filename I am trying to upload, then a "550 Path does not exist" error. It downloads just fine, but will not upload. The upload issue seems to by the only problem I am having. Liking the beta except for this.

Are you uploading a file or a folder?
The CWD errors you see are just checks you can ignore.

Are you uploading a file or a folder?
The CWD errors you see are just checks you can ignore.

I am attempting to upload a file. After trying to upload it repeatedly, I see in the log for each one:
SIZE (filename)
550 Size failed: Invalid path
CWD /(path)/(filename)
550 Path does not exist

This repeats for any file I try each time. (path) is the folder I am trying to load to and (filename) is the name of the file. I have tried various files, my reason for substituting the names.

I can't reproduce the problem here and I tested it on Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Regards,
Mat

I have reproduced it on 5 machines and can't make it not happen. Not that I doubt it doesn't happen for you, I'm sure it doesn't or you wouldn't be distributing it. Is there anything I can do to assist with this? If version 3 is released like this, I won't be able to use it.

Don't worry it's a beta. If I could reproduce it I would tell you so and fix it ;-)

Can you try other methods of uploading? e.g. using the context menu then Upload? Or drag&drop to the list/tree etc?

Regards,
Mat

I have tried all of those, none work. I realize it is beta, and have great hopes for the final. I have used SmartFTP for years have talked more than one of my employers over those years into buying licenses.

Ok, some more info on this. After some more testing, it does not fail on every upload, just all of the ones I tried earlier. Graphic files upload just fine. The files I was trying to upload earlier were .exe files. I find that some .exe files will upload, some will not. If you go to Microsoft.com XP RC2 Download and download that file, it will not transfer though SmartFTP. I tried to rename in case it was an issue with the length, still didn't work.

I tryed with this file and it works here on Vista x64. I see you have XP SP3 installed, is this on all other test PC's installed too? You have installed SP3 before the first Beta test of SmartFTP 3.0 or after?

Thanks for your help.

I tryed with this file and it works here on Vista x64. I see you have XP SP3 installed, is this on all other test PC's installed too? You have installed SP3 before the first Beta test of SmartFTP 3.0 or after?

Thanks for your help.

Nope, XP SP3 RC2 is only installed on 1 machine. This fails on 4 other machines. 2 Vista 32 bit, and 2 XP SP2. One of which is a virtual machine that has no other software installed for testing purposes such as this. It was a Vista machine I was testing on last night. And this file transfers just fine with SmartFTP 2.5 on every one of them.

The .21 release seems to be an improvement, though it still seems to be hit and miss on what will upload. I tried to upload the .21 build to 2 different FTP servers. As an .exe it failed. I zipped it and tried to upload that, and it says "550 SFTPNSI.zip: not a plain file".

What you see in the log has nothing to do whether the transfer takes place or not. Please ignore it. We have tested it on every test machine we have (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista) and we are unable to reproduce it.
Before we further investigate into this problem we will wait until somebody else can reproduce it.

Understood, you are busy and have things to do. I am only posting this because I think I can give you a way to reproduce it. Though it wasn't adding the files I was trying to upload, I paused the transfer queue and added files. 2 of 3 I added showed up. I opened Transfer Queue.xml in PSPad, and saw all 3. Looking at the source and destination tags, it looked to me like the difference had to do with file location. I had mentioned earlier that I could upload image files but not executables. Only partially correct. The reason was the images were in My Pictures and the exe was on the desktop. What I have discovered is that I can upload any files from any location BUT the desktop. From the desktop, I can upload nothing. I can download any file to any location. I have reproduced this on XP and Vista on 2 machines. Somehow it cannot get the correct location of the source if it is on the desktop. If you can't reproduce this, I give up. Thank you for your time, and I hope you get the same results.

Aha. The problem was only when dragging from the desktop. This has been fixed now:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Thank you for bringing this to our attention ;-)

Regards,
Mat

Confirmed. Works fine now. Thanks!