edit files 'in place'

When I do a 'open with' and select Notepad, the notepad editor doesn't open for 30-40 seconds.

Before the File opens it must be downloaded.

Before the File opens it must be downloaded.

I think there is something else going on. I can upload and download this very small file using SmartFTP, and it takes less than 1 second. If the file to be edited on the remote system has to be downloaded to the local systrem before editing it, then this operation should be very quick, not 30-40 seconds. Or, am I missing something here? (I also see a 30-40 second delay from when I do a 'save' in notepad, to when the changed file is written to the remote system.)

Andy

Why don't look you look into the "Transfer Queue" pane to see what's going on? To enable it go the menu: View->Others Windows->Transfer Queue.

Regards,
Mat

Good suggestion. I see that the time is consumed in the 'connecting' mode. The machine I'm connected to has a LONG connect time. That answers the long delay issue, but why is it re-connecting for each file upload/download? It doesn't do that when I copy files to and from it using the SmartFTP's explorer facilities. I won't be able to use this if I can't get the delay issue corrected. I was going to try it on another machine (with a quick connect time), but the SmartFTP beta version went south on me (I will open a bug report on it shortly), and I had to revert back to version 2.5.1008)

Andy

The reconnect will be here to stay. SmartFTP uses the same strategy when transferring files from and to the server. The problem is very likely on the server side because an average connection takes place in less than 5 seconds.
Regards,
Mat