ReadDirectory returning ftpErrorSuccess instead of ftpErrorTimeout

Hi,

Got an odd problem with a Gene6 FTP Server v3.8.0 (Build 34):

---

220 Gene6 FTP Server v3.8.0 (Build 34) ready...
USER XXX
331 Password required for Hexagon-Remote.
PASS (hidden)
230 User Hexagon-Remote logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Detected Server Type: UNIX
FEAT
211-Extensions supported:
AUTH TLS
CCC
CLNT
CPSV
EPRT
EPSV
MDTM
MFCT
MFMT
MLST type*;size*;create;modify*;
MODE Z
PASV
PBSZ
PROT
REST STREAM
SIZE
SSCN
TVFS
UTF8
XCRC "filename" SP EP
XMD5 "filename" SP EP
XSHA1 "filename" SP EP
211 End.
MODE Z
200 Mode Z ok.
CWD /folder/
250 CWD command successful. "/folder" is current directory.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (XXX,83,100,204,195,178)
Opening data connection to XXX.83.100.204 Port: 50098
MLSD
150 Data connection accepted from XXX.185.33.66:20; transfer starting.
226-Compression : 0% (0 Bytes/458 Bytes).
226 Transfer ok.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

---

So the FTP server is saying it has transferred the listing, but actually it timed out. The problem is the result from the call to ReadDirectory() is ftpErrorSuccess. Shouldn't it be ftpErrorTimeout ?

Thanks

The ReadDirectory() method returns ftpErrorSuccess because the server returns a "226 Transfer ok" reply. I'm not sure what the correct behavior of the client/server is but in my opinion the server shouldn't send a 226 if the data connection failed and no data is sent at all. I will talk to the Gene6 devs and ask them about their opinion.

Regards,
-Mat

Hi, the customer changed their FTP settings to use implicit TLS encryption and it appears to be working now. This usually indicates a router causing problems. I've asked them which one they're using and will post here once I find out. Thanks.

The router is a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with dd-wrt ver23SP1 firmware.

I talked to the Gene6 developer and we agreed that the server shouldn't return a 2xx reply if no data is sent. The Gene6 developer will take a look at the problem and I will post any updates as soon as I get them.

If the user having the problem wants to provide more details about the problem he/she could do that directly in the Gene6 forum:
http://www.g6ftpserver.com/forum/

Thank you.
Regards,
-Mat