Backing Up Smart Settings

Hello,

I need to re-build my machine and wondered if there is any way to export/save all my account settings, so I can re-instate them on the new hard drive. (Without saving a load of other junk I need to clear.)

Cheers

Thanks for that, unfortunately I somehow managed to click on something and delete all my settings this morning except favourites list (how I did it I have no idea.) :roll:

Is there any way I can retrieve my old settings? :cry:

Which settings are you missing? The history in the address bar? Or the settings you adjusted under Tools -> Settings?

The history in the address bar.

Go to Tools -> Settings, General -> History. If the list box there is empty (and "History Entries" is 0), your history is gone and cannot be undeleted (you probably pressed the "Empty" button on that page). To make sure the history feature works in the future, make sure "Save History" is checked and "Max History Entries" has some reasonable value.

There is one more thing you may want to check: SmartFTP saves the history in a file called "History.dat" located at "C:Documents and Settings<username>Application DataSmartFTP". Maybe you can find an old version there / a backup file. If so, just close SmartFTP, rename the history file to use to "History.dat" and restart SmartFTP.

Hmmm theres one called - favouritesold.2004***.dat

Is that the one you mean? Re-name that one history.dat?

(also)

I've done something strange because the 'default' that I normatly write over in the pull down has gone as well???

(A million windows opened by mistake the other day and I wizzed through clicking close and clicked yes to something I shouldn't have whoops!)

Hmmm theres one called - favouritesold.2004***.dat

Is that the one you mean? Re-name that one history.dat?
No, that file contains your favorites, i.e. FTP bookmarks. If there is no similar historyold.2004****.dat file, your history is gone.

That the "default" (Something like "yourserver.com"?) is also gone does not matter, you can ignore it.

So to sum up, your history is gone, and IMHO there is no way to get it back. Servers you connect to on a regular basis should be saved as favorites instead anyways.

OK well thanks for your help (was re-building machine any way so will start afresh!)