connection problems

I'm trying to connect to a personal FTP server (ProFTP) running on a Linux box. I had no problems connecting when using port 21 and passive ports in the unassigned range. However, I would like to change the from 21 to an unassigned port and I am having problems connecting. Following is a log detailing my problem:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.2
Resolving host name "xxxxx"
Connecting to xxxxx Port: xxxxx
Connected to xxxxx.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server [192.168.1.254]
USER xxxxx
331 Password required for rndilger.
PASS (hidden)
230 User rndilger logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,254,234,104).
Opening data connection to 192.168.1.254 Port: xxxxx
LIST -aL
Timeout (20s).
Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/74
Client closed the connection.
Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".

It seems like the connection hangs when LIST -aL is being displayed. I have tried to connect in Active mode. Additionally, I have attempted to increase the connection timeout to 60 seconds and get the following error:

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

My server is running behind a NAT and I know I have opened the correct ports. I have had this server configured correctly and working for a few weeks now. My goal is to change from 21 to another port in order to avoid possible detection from my ISP.

Perhaps I am not understanding background on FTP protocols, but I am at a loss here. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
SmartFTP v 1.5.990

Hi, try to disable -aL settings at file listing.

Hi,

Is there a firewall on your server? Is this firewall allow connection to the TCP port 60008 ?

Olivier

Sorry, I could have provided more details. No, there is no firewall interfering with my connection. I know because I have successfully configured and connected to my server in the past. I also tried to disable the -aL options but to no avail. Additionally, my router is set up to allow port forwarding for the chosen unassigned port and the range of passive ports I'm using.

I understand that this problem may also be related my configuration of proftpd and therefore, I am currently researching that end. So thanks for not getting to upset with me for posting on this forum! I have always found helpful advice and members here. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Ryan

Hi,

There is something strange in your log:

Connecting to xxxxx Port: xxxxx

Connected to xxxxx.

220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server [192.168.1.254] 

I suppose you are connected to "xxxxx" IP which is not 192.168.1.254. But your server ProFTPD consider being on 192.168.1.254. So, the passive connection is made on 192.168.1.254.

PASV

227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,254,234,104).

Opening data connection to 192.168.1.254 Port: xxxxx

LIST -aL

But, the passive connection must be done on "xxxxx" IP. ProFTD don't know the good IP address. If you use a static IP adress, mofidy the ProFTPD configuration to use this IP. If you use a dynamic IP, may be ProFTPD provides a way to detect this IP adresse. See your ProFTPD manual.

Olivier

Thanks for the advice. I am currently working with folks on the proftpd forum to try and solve this problem. I appreciate your assistance.

Ryan