Three issues

1) No matter how I try to adjust things, I cannot get the URL copy to work properly for one particular website (I have it working for some of my sites).

When I log in to the particular site, the path to my home directory is

/home/digiport

and the root of the documents folder is
/home/digiport/public_html

However, no matter how I try to adjust the settings in favorites, whenever I try to generate a URL, I always get

http://www.digiportal.com/public_html/blah blah blah

(That "public_html" should NOT show up in the URL)

2) I thought I might have an older version and noted that I have 984 while your website indicates 985 is available. However, when I tried to download and install (from download.com), I still ended up with 984

3) Although your downloader process lets me pick a folder where the install files should go, it doesn't seem to want to let me pick the folder where the actual program should go...I assume therefore that you're overwriting the existing version - the problem with that is if there happens to be a bug, I've lost the original version unless I'm VERY careful to keep backups

David Jameson

Hello ...

Please post your license key id for premium support.

>1
Please set the correct URL settings in the favorite item -> Settings -> General -> URL dialog.

>2
Get the setup from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

>3
You can set the installation directory in the setup when you select the "Custom" installation type. Click on the "Core" component in the component select page and set the installation folder.

Regards,
-Mat
SmartFTP

There is an alternate installer, which uses NSIS instead of MSI. Get if from my footer.

OK - this is driving me nuts but as far as I can tell from experiments, the problem is that SmartFTP is not recognizing the "root" folder properly.

Here are the details

Web URL: www.digiportal.com

If I FTP from command prompt, I can see that the "root" folder from the perspective of FTP is "/" but that path is in fact the digiportal software home directly which is physically /home/digiport

Underneath that folder is a folder called public_html which is the root folder for Apache.

No matter what I specify for the FTP Web Root Path (I've tried

/
/public_html
/public_html/
public_html
public_html/

etc....

If I then try to copy the URL for index.html (say),
I ALWAYS get

http://www.digiportal.com/public_html/index.html

In other words, I cannot get the "public_html" piece to be recognized so that it is NOT included in the created URL

The "FTP Web Root Path" is the path you're in when you initially log into your FTP account, viewed from the FTP server's file system perspective (that's what you call "physical path"). I guess in your case, you're initially in "digiport", but you see that there's a "home" directory above in the SmartFTP tree view. So you should enter "/home/digiport/public_html" and as HTTP URL "http://www.digiportal.com", both without trailing slashes.

Hello ...

Yep. Thats what I would have suggested as well. Thanks eyebex.

It doesn't matter if you add trailing slashes or not. They are stripped from both paths.

-Mat

Tried that already (many times) - in fact it was only after that did NOT work that I decided to FTP from a command prompt to see where it "thought" its home directory was.

Hello ...

Yep. Thats what I would have suggested as well. Thanks eyebex.

It doesn't matter if you add trailing slashes or not. They are stripped from both paths.

-Mat

That's a new feature, isn't it? ;-)

Tried that already (many times) - in fact it was only after that did NOT work that I decided to FTP from a command prompt to see where it "thought" its home directory was.
Okay, please do the following: Log into your FTP, right-click on the folder you're in, choose "Copy URL" -> "Path" and paste the clipboard content here. Moreover, a screenshot of the treeview would be useful. Thanks.

The path is
/public_html/tour3.html

I don't see any place to post a screen shot but the tree looks something like this

- digiportal.com
folder1
folder2

- public_html
folder1
folder2

To post a screenshot, you need to upload it somewhere and refer to it using the IMG tags. This would really be helpful.

BTW: Are you sure you were on a folder when you copied the path? "/public_html/tour3.html" sounds more if you were on a file.

I was on a file IN a folder - if I select a folder I just get the path to the folder (including the public_html) so not really much difference!

/public_html/bannerads/

The image can be found at this URL
http://www.thejamesons.com/smartftp.gif

thanks. it really should work the way you've already tried. i currently have no idea what's going wrong, sorry.

What did you enter into the HTTP URL and the FTP Web Root path in the favorite item settings?

Thanks
-Mat

Yep - I really tried hard to figure out what I might be doing wrong before contacting you. And, as I've indicated, I have had this working on other sites that I own.

I assume there's something wrong with the substring matching code. Hope it can be fixed quickly, I have found that this program is by far the best FTP program out there (although I wish it supported scp :-)

David

thanks. it really should work the way you've already tried. i currently have no idea what's going wrong, sorry.

Hello ..

Below is the code for the "Copy HTTP" function if you right-click on a folder in the tree view and select the "Copy URL -> HTTP" command.

strRemotePath = The path of the remote folder you clicked.
pItem = Favorite Item
m_strFTPWebPath = FTP Web Root setting from the favorite item
m_strHTTP = HTTP URL setting from the favorite item

CString strRemotePath;

lprvd->CreatePathFromTree(hti, strRemotePath);

if(!pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strFTPWebPath.IsEmpty()

&& pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strFTPWebPath.Compare(_T("/")) != 0)

{

// remove ftp web part

if(_tcsncmp(strRemotePath, pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strFTPWebPath, pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strFTPWebPath.GetLength()) == 0)

strRemotePath.Delete(0, pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strFTPWebPath.GetLength());

}

// escape path

CString strPathEsc;

nsURLEscape(strRemotePath, url_Directory, strPathEsc);

CUnixPath strURL(pItem->GetSettings().GetURL().m_strHTTP);

strURL.PathAppend(strPathEsc);

strURL += _T('/');

Misc_SetClipboardText(lprvd->m_hwndThis, strURL);

BTW: I just noticed that SmartFTP doesn't strip the trailing slahes from the FTP Web Path as I wrongly stated earlier.