Corrupt Files Uploaded

We purchased 2 licenses of SmartFTP to help facilitate our transferring files from our QA server (in-house) to a staging server (on our web host), and also to transfer from our staging server to our production server (also on the web host).

Basically, what is happening is fairly regularly a file upload is corrupted, even though the transfer says it was successful. This is happening both going to stage and to production (so it shouldn't be a router issue, since those transfers happen on two completely different networks). This happens both in direct uploads and using global queue.

We can't afford to try the latest development build, because this issue has already caused headaches for out client.

We are incredibly disappointed in this, and this is affecting our client relationships, because the corrupt files cause errors on their sites. An FTP upload isn't a complex process and I find this unacceptable. We're going to have to use another FTP client, because this is costing us clients.

Here's our Registration Data:
ID: 400009369
User: Scott Brady
Number of Users: 2
Date of Issue: 1/28/2005

And here's one of our system's info:
+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Server
(Build 3790)

CPU Speed : 1000 MHz
Total Memory : 1048052 KB
Free Memory : 532836 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version : 1.0.983.32
Time Stamp : 2004-12-28 21:00:55
Language ID : 0x0409
Language File : ResEng.dll

+- Application DLL --------------------

controls.dll : 1.6.983.32
ftpapi.dll : 2.0.983.32
language.dll : 1.0.983.32
reseng.dll : 1.3.983.32
smarthook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- System DLL -------------------------

shell32.dll : 6.00.3790.205 (srv03_gdr.040716-2015)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.3790.212 (srv03_gdr.040918-1552)
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (srv03_rtm.030324-2048)
riched20.dll : 5.31.23.1218
schannel.dll : 5.2.3790.132 (srv03_gdr.040116-1702)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version : 6.0.3790.0

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock : 2.2

Hi, can you paste a full transfer log?

Is there a log file kept by SmartFTP that I can get the history from?

If you mean do a transfer and paste the log from that right after it occurs, I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that. Because this doesn't happen with every file and every transfer, I don't have the ability to reliably reproduce the file corruption. And, because the transfers go to sites our clients and potential clients view, we can't risk doing a big upload that will corrupt a file a client might look at.

If that is what's required, I'll see if I can find time next week when no one will be testing on that server.

Thanks!

Scott

Hello ...

As it turned out in all the cases in the past, SmartFTP is not reason for corrupt transfers. It's either caused by a buggy network device (e.g. NAT Router, NIC, etc), a software hooking into winsock layer or the FTP server software itself.

Are you uploading thousands of files from the in-house server to the staging server? If yes, how do you upload the files? Direct Upload or Global Queue? What FTP server software are you using?

Regards,

Hello ...
As it turned out in all the cases in the past, SmartFTP is not reason for corrupt transfers. It's either caused by a buggy network device (e.g. NAT Router, NIC, etc), a software hooking into winsock layer or the FTP server software itself.
Are you uploading thousands of files from the in-house server to the staging server? If yes, how do you upload the files? Direct Upload or Global Queue? What FTP server software are you using?
Regards,

I am also getting corrupt file transfers. I have found that it used to help to do "Direct" instead of "Global Queue" but now that doesn't seem to work. This problem is persistant across two of our hosts.
When viewing the log I can see repeated "550 - No such file." errors on upload of large amount of files.
Also, looking at the files it errors on, it look as though only the files under a certain amount of max directory layers error out.
Eg. /d:/Virtuals/CWH/stephaniedepiero_com/stephaniedepiero_com/Web/Portals/_default/Containers/DNN-Green/Text Header - White Background.ascx

Whats upsetting is even though I prefer smartftp, I've only had this problem with smartftp.

PLEASE HELP

Hello ..

Read my answer above. The problems with corrupt transfers is not related to SmartFTP. Please purchase a license if you need technical support.

Regards,
SmartFTP