can a server side folder have too many files?

My ISP says I have trouble uploading to a particular folder because it has approx 12,000 files in it (210 mb). This is part of a substantial site of folders containing pdf files for download by subscribers. The problem is recent, altho' this folder has always been more tricky than others. I have no problem uploading to smaller folders.

The list refresh after an upload attempt takes about 20 seconds, and I have put the keep alive commands to 50 seconds.

Today I have uploaded about 20 files in 3 hours , off and on, but with no great consistency.

Please post your license key (without signature).

A good idea is to rearrange your files. 12'000 files in a single directory is a bad idea. A simple approach would be to create sub directories from (0-9, A-Z) where the first character of the filename is the key of this index.

Thank you
SmartFTP.com

Thanks mb for your idea. But would another tier of subdirectories perhaps also cause problems? I know it can in Windows...we are currently at 4th level where the bid folder is already - we'd also have to recode the file finding on the site for the new folders...