SmartFTP slow to start

I'm finding SmartFTP very slow to start.

From the moment when I select SmartFTP from the programs menu through to when it is actually available for me to use (eg, open an FTP connection) can be up to 2 minutes.

I am running Windows XP, and have tried closing all applications and some background services (eg, Zone Alarm, Apache) to no avail. Looking at the CPU usage in the Task manager shows that SmartFTP is using what was all the available idle processor (around 95%).

I have an .avi file showing the event if you wish to see it, but it is about 400KB in size, so let me know and I will email it if required.

I am using the development build of 1.0.978 that I downloaded today (Aug 21 NZ date).

My SYSTEM INFO is:

+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 995 MHz
Total Memory : 244656 KB
Free Memory : 78404 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version : 1.0.978.9
Time Stamp : 2003-08-19 00:09:29

+- Application DLL --------------------

controls.dll : 1.6.978.9
ftpapi.dll : 2.0.978.9
language.dll : 1.0.978.9
reseng.dll : 1.3.978.9
+- System DLL -------------------------

shell32.dll : 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1226
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1211
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock : 2.2

As this is my first post, my registration info is:

ID: 400001182
User: Paul Rondel
Company:
Email: paul@tangelo.co.nz
Number of Users: 1

Let me know if you want to .avi file or have any other questions.

I removed SmartFTP and restarted my machine, then installed the Full version of 1.0.978, followed by the Dev build from earlier today. When SmartFTP started this time, it started as quickly as you would expect it to.

It appeared that the problem was solved. However, when I then opened a Local Browser within SmartFTP, it took a little while to open. I then found that if I open SmartFTP and I had a Local Browser open when I last closed SmartFTP, then it would be slow to start up. If I close the Local Browser, close SmartFTP, and then re-open it, it starts up just fine.

The Local Browser opening to "My Documents" on a local drive (D:).

Hi,

This is a known problem for quite some time now, sorry for advising you to uninstall/reinstall.

The workaround for now is to close all 'Local Browser" windows before exiting SmartFTP.

I have two questions for you though, does this directory contain many file/folder(s) ?

And when you have SmartFTP loaded already, and open a new instance of a "Local Browser"
does it take a long time to load it?

As you say, the problem can be worked-around by not leaving a Local Browser window open when I close SmartFTP.

As for whether there is a large number of folders/files... my 'My Documents' folder has about 20 folders and 30-odd files in its root. These files add up to about 340Mb (although I zip file on its own makes up 335Mb of this). The folder in total holds about 38,000 files and 1,700 folders for about 7Gb of data.

However, I seem to have the same problem even if I close SmartFTP with the Local Browser open to a folder with practically nothing in it directly off the root of my C: drive.

As for opening a Local Browser window after opening SmartFTP - it does seem to take a little bit longer than expected, but certainly nowhere near as long as if it were already open when I try to start SmartFTP.