Watch folders and large files

Hi,

I have a problem with watched folders and large files. I often use SmartFTP to automatically upload large (> 1GB) files to a server. The files are created in a watched folder as the output from a video muxing programme, their creation takes 30-40 seconds.

SmartFTP detects the new file before it has been completely written and usually starts a thread with a file size of 20-30 MB, once the file write is complete a second thread appears with the full, correct file size. This second thread goes into a loop until I manually delete the initial thread, at which point it takes over with the existing uploaded.

The queue looks like this:

Is there some way to tell SmartFTP to wait until the file has finished being written before starting the upload?
I have tried scheduling the monitor to run every minute, but that doesn't seem to work.

Many thanks in advance.

Version : 4.0.1155.0
Time Stamp : 2011-01-03 01:14:12
Platform : x86
Maintenance : 2011-01-21
Days in use : 353

Microsoft Windows 7 (Build 7600)

We will implement a new feature to filter duplicates.

We will implement a new feature to filter duplicates.
Thanks!
Excellent service, I had better renew my maintenance.

Please try the new beta version from here:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Go to the Schedule Item Properties. Then go to the Actions dialog. Right-click the Queue Item action, go to its Properties.
Then enable the new [ ] Guarantee serialized execution option

This option will not prevent multiple items to be added to the queue but it will ensure that they are executed one after the other.

Please try the new beta version from here:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Go to the Schedule Item Properties. Then go to the Actions dialog. Right-click the Queue Item action, go to its Properties.
Then enable the new [ ] Guarantee serialized execution option

This option will not prevent multiple items to be added to the queue but it will ensure that they are executed one after the other.
That appears to break it!
Upload appears in the queue as usual and runs as soon as the file is added to the folder (i.e. before it has finished being copied to the folder), a second job for the same folder appears after local file copy completion.

When upload is completed there are two identical folder jobs in the queue, one marked "finished" the other with no status.

Tried to add a download job, log says added to queue, but nothing happens.
Tried to pause/restart the queue - SmartFTP hangs.

Kill/restart SmartFTP and the two identical monitor jobs appear - one with "waiting for children to complete", plus the download that was attempted - marked paused, right click on that to resume and it goes through "connecting" then "pre-transfer" then disappears.

The only way to get SmartFTP working again appears to be to disable the scheduled monitor task and then delete the two folder tasks.

I'm going back to the previous release for the time being. [EDIT - how do you force the installer to regress?]

Is there no way to simply tell SmartFTP to check file size or date/time every few seconds and to only start the job once they have stopped changing?

I have introduced a deadlock in the latest changes. A fix will be coming today.

>Downgrade
Uninstall SmartFTP. Install the old version.

>simple way
No it's not that simple and we try not to implement "hacks" that solve one very specific problem but have other unwanted side effects.