SmartFTP freezes on Download...

SmartFTP now freezes every time I try to use Download... , whereas Download To (pre-defined folder) works.
I right-click on the chosen file, choose Download... - and it freezes. Every time. I've never had this problem over several years' use of SmartFTP. If I choose Download To, it works, but it means I have to go hunting for my files in some folder where I don't want the files. I set download type to ASCII.

Version: 4.0.1072.0 Home Edition.
Windows XP Home Edition SP3 - up to date.

A shell extension you have installed is most likely blocking SmartFTP.
A workaround:
Open a Local Browser (menu: New Local Browser) or a Windows Explorer and then use drag&drop to download the files.

A shell extension you have installed is most likely blocking SmartFTP.
A workaround:
Open a Local Browser (menu: New Local Browser) or a Windows Explorer and then use drag&drop to download the files.

What is a shell extenstion, how do I find/identify it, which program has it been added to, and how do I get rid of it??? I have never installed any type of extension to SmartFTP in any way whatsoever.

Why does it make SmartFTP crash? Is that how it's supposed to work?

If I pay for a program, I would like it to work / be fixed when it doesn't rather than being told to go use some other program instead. This is not a satisfactory answer.

I will hold my maintenance renewal until this issue has been duly addressed.

Some shell extension are loaded when the system Browser Folder dialog is displayed. It is not something specific to SmartFTP. So my guess is that the reason SmartFTP freezes is a shell extension that doesn't behave as expected.

It may HP Share to Web that caused this - and possibly other freezes involving Explorer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 has some information on this:

"Software that was previously distributed by Hewlett Packard (HP) has been reported to cause the Verclsid.exe program to stop responding. The specific component that causes problems is the Share-to-Web namespace daemon (Hpgs2wnd.exe). This software is no longer distributed by HP, but was previously included with the following items:
HP PhotoSmart software
Any HP DeskJet printer that includes a card reader
HP scanners
Some HP CD-RWs and HP DVD-RWs
HP cameras
The Share-to-Web namespace daemon can be found in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-packard\Hp share-to-web\Hpgs2wnd.exe
Share-to-Web software is automatically started when you start the computer. The software may also be started by using the Start menu."

HP Share to Web is bundled with the HP printer driver and cannot be separately uninstalled. Instead, I've renamed the C:\Program Files\Hewlett-packard\Hp share-to-web\ folder. I made a test with SmartFTP and Epson scanner software that were both freezing when interfacing with Explorer, and they didn't freeze. My entire computer had been freezing up to twice a day in periods as well, but it will take some time to see if that has stopped.

Just in case other users are experiencing similar problems. No reply needed.