Dual Accounts

geoffbland

2010-01-25 17:42:30

The security set up on the Unix servers we use means we have to use two different accounts. One we can use to log on to the server with - but has no access to the server files and a second that has access to the server files but has no logon priviledges.

So typically I logon with my personal account, then "sudo" to use the service account to get at the given files I need.

SmartFTP only allows you to use one account however to login and the access the files. So I have to use my personal account to logon but then I can't see the files I need as I'm not on the service account, I end up doing a lot of tedious transfering to my personal temp directory, chmoding and copying.

Is there any way around this?

mb

2010-01-25 17:45:49

Wouldn't a 2nd favorite with a different user account solve your problem?

geoffbland

2010-01-26 08:39:14

Wouldn't a 2nd favorite with a different user account solve your problem?

How would that work? The second favourite (like the first) would be able either log onto the Unix server OR see the files I need to work with - but not both. Unless I'm missing something, is it possible to set up a favourite to use a connection already opened by another favourite?

mb

2010-01-26 11:10:58

FTP doesn't support something like su so you have to give logon privileges to both users.