File Extension Missing - Win 7 32bit

Hi:

I just upgraded to Win 7 - 32bit - Home Premium. When I copy files to SmartFTP, file extensions do not follow the fdocuments - the extensions are missing in SmartFTP. If I copy document from SmartFTP back to desktop, I must open the document by selecting a program.

Is this a known issue? Any fix?

Thank you very much.

Another user reported a similar or the same issue:
https://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.ph ... xtensions/

Is that what you are seeing as well?

So far we were unable to reproduce the problem. Does it happen with the default operating system settings or did you change something specific?

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat:

It doesn't look exactly the same. With the previously reported problem (EDTECH), it looks like he is getting the wrong extension. I see not file extension (e.g., .doc or .vsd) at all. I was using SmartFTP just fine with Vista; if I moved a file into SMFTP now, I see the file name, but no pretty MS icon (like for WORD or EXCEL or VISION) and no file extension. I do see the file and its name, just no icon and no extension - like SMFTP doesn't know what the document type is. What's funny about this is that I do see the proper icon and file extensions for all documents I uploaded to a server prior to my Windows 7 upgrade. But I go and upload a file now, all I get is the name of the fil (again, no file icon or extension).

Sorry - as to your question about changing something specific, I haven't.

Did you do an in-place upgrade of Windows Vista to Windows 7 or is it a new installation of Windows 7?

In Windows Explorer, go to the menu: Tools->Folder Options. Then go to the View tab and disable [ ] Hide extensions from known file types.

Does this "fix" the issue?

Regards,
Mat

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" in SmartFTP.
Thanks.

Hi Mat:

You're recommendation solved the problem. I "unhid" the known file extensions. Just as an FYI - I did an Upgrade from Vista, so I bought the Uprade Windows 7 product.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Hello Bruce ...

SmartFTP should display the correct icon regardless of the setting. So there must be a bug somewhere in SmartFTP. I was asking about the upgrade because we cannot reproduce it with a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Regards,
Mat

Hello Bruce ..

Please check if you have compatibility mode enabled (not good) for SmartFTP. Right-click on the SmartFTP icon on your desktop or in the start menu. Then select Properties from the context menu. Then go to the Compatibility tab and check whether the option [x] Run this app in compatibility mode is enabled or not.

Thanks
Mat

Hello Bruce ..

I noticed that you never posted the system information. Can you please do this?
menu: help->About "System Information"

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
(Build 7600)

CPU Speed : 2393 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 2047 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1054.0
Time Stamp : 2009-10-06 19:54:07
Platform : x86
Id : 400039941