Flickering Desktop Icons

Dear support,

Ever since I'm using SmartFTP my Desktop Icons flicker when I'm creating a new connection or click a folder on the Treepane that hasn't been cached before. The same flickering also appears when I do changes in the favorites window.

Here's a small video that showcases the flickering. I hope you can play the file without problems.

SmartFTP Client v3.0 Build 1027 up to the most current release v4.0 Build 1049 (64bit)

My system:
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2
- Classic theme
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (Dual Screen) (latest drivers 6.14.11.9062)

I've installed a trial of the latest SmartFTP Client on my 2ndary machine with default settings and the flickering also occurs:

- Windows XP Pro SP3 (32bit)
- Windows XP theme
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (Single Screen) (latest drivers 6.14.11.8618)

I'd love to see this issue resolved, the flickering is quite annoying.

Thank you!

Hello ...

The flickering is probably caused by shell notifications. But this not something that should happen and is out of the control of SmartFTP.
Maybe it is caused by another shell extension you have installed because I do not see this problem on a any of our XP VMs. For example earlier versions of Google Deskip were suffering from this problem.

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Thanks for your fast reply. I like the shell notifications theory and tried to figure out what extention might be causing it.

I've disabled all extensions on my 2ndary machine bar the IE and Windows ones: Flickering is unfortunately still present (I only had 7-zip, and the NVIDIA ones installed).

Next I've installed a fresh XP-SP3 (with all current updates) in WMWare and was able to reproduce the flickering just fine, contradicting your findings. I noticed however that the flickering in VMWare is much shorter and doesn't occur at each new connection.

Video of VM
Screenshot of Processes, installed Programs and Extensions

Why do I get flickering on all my machines and you don't?

Try to uninstall the VMWare Tools in your virtual machine.

Unfortunately in the end we cannot do much if the desktop (explorer.exe) reacts to the shell notifications it shouldn't. But I think only Windows XP suffers from this problem.

Regards,
Mat

I've uninstalled the VMWare Tools and the flickering is still present.

But, since whatever Explorer fusses around with SmartFTP remote tree view seems unfixable this thread is a waste of time anyways.

Thanks for your time tho.

As a closing remark, if I may: It's a bit sad that you speak of XP as "only": All the companies I freelance for in Germany/Austria use XP, with the exceptions of a few exec laptops. For me XP is still the main windows platform.

I was now able to reproduce it and I have figured out that we were using LockWindowUpdate() which caused the Desktop to redraw/flicker. After reading the documentation it was clear that this function should not be used for general purpose as we did. I have now replaced it and the flicker bug has been fixed. The bug fix will be available in the next build. Thank you for pointing this bug out :-)

Affected operating systems: Windows XP.

Regards,
Mat

The new version with the fix is available now:
https://www.smartftp.com/download
I just installed 4.0.1050.0 and my desktop icons still flicker when I start SmartFTP. It is starting up with a remote browser open. My system info is

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 4.0.1050.0
Time Stamp : 2009-09-30 17:24:38
Platform : x86

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18702

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Hmm it doesn't flicker anymore here. Does anybody else see this problem?

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Thank you very much for taking a 2nd look at this. Much appreciated.

Hmm it doesn't flicker anymore here. Does anybody else see this problem?

v4.0.1050.0: On my system(s) listed above the desktop icons still flicker when opening a new connection-tab. As for the remote tree view there's oddly only flickering at SSH connections, not at the FTP ones. Can this even be?

I think the flickering I have fixed was caused by something other than what you guys see.

I will try to see if I can reproduce the flickering with the SSH connections you notice.

I think the flickering I have fixed was caused by something other than what you guys see.

I will try to see if I can reproduce the flickering with the SSH connections you notice.
It happens to me with all connections, normal FTP and SFTP.

Then desktop icons when opening smartFTP has been happening since as long as I can remember and I have put up with it, but it would be great if it could be fixed.

Thanks
john...

john: Are you using build 1050 or newer? When does it flicker for you?

john: Are you using build 1050 or newer? When does it flicker for you?
As posted earlier I am using 1050

When I close smartFTP I usually have at least 1 remote browser open, so when I open smartFTP it is opening with at least 1 remote browser. The flickering happens whenever I start smartFTP and whenever I open a remote browser (FTP or SFTP) once smartFTP has started.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

john...

As posted earlier I am using 1050

When I close smartFTP I usually have at least 1 remote browser open, so when I open smartFTP it is opening with at least 1 remote browser. The flickering happens whenever I start smartFTP and whenever I open a remote browser (FTP or SFTP) once smartFTP has started.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

john...
Just downloade and installed

Version : 4.0.1058.0
Time Stamp : 2009-10-26 22:57:33

and it's seems to have fixed my icons flickering on the desktop when smartFTP loads and when I open a new remote browser.

Thanks, john...

Just downloade and installed

Version : 4.0.1058.0
Time Stamp : 2009-10-26 22:57:33

and it's seems to have fixed my icons flickering on the desktop when smartFTP loads and when I open a new remote browser.

Thanks, john...
Just an update on on this. When I installed 1058 some toolbars were shown that I normally have turned off

History
Login
Standard

With these showing there was no flickering. I turned these 3 off thru the View -> Toolbars menu and stopped SmartFTP. The next time I started SmartFTP back to flickering icons on the desktop. So I tried turning on each of the 3 toolbars seperately one at a time and found that if I have the History toolbar on there is no flickering. The Login or Standard toolbars don't stop the flickering.

Is there any reason having the History toolbar showing would stop flickering ???

john...

Hello
I tried to reproduce it with the History toolbar disabled but I don't see your issue.

How do you open a remote browser connection? Through the menu: Favorites? or through the Favorites window/pane?

Regards,
Mat

Hello
I tried to reproduce it with the History toolbar disabled but I don't see your issue.

How do you open a remote browser connection? Through the menu: Favorites? or through the Favorites window/pane?

Regards,
Mat
I generally open a remote browser through the Favorites menu. The flickering was most noticeable when SmartFTP was starting up. Not sure if that was because I always have 1 or 2 remote browsers open when I shutdown, and they open up when I am starting SmartFTP.

At the moment I am happy that the whole desktop doesn't flicker a few times every time I start SmartFTP.

john...

With these showing there was no flickering. I turned these 3 off thru the View -> Toolbars menu and stopped SmartFTP. The next time I started SmartFTP back to flickering icons on the desktop. So I tried turning on each of the 3 toolbars seperately one at a time and found that if I have the History toolbar on there is no flickering. The Login or Standard toolbars don't stop the flickering.

Is there any reason having the History toolbar showing would stop flickering ???

I can confirm this.

Since v4.0 Build 1050+ the flickering no longer occurs when the history toolbar is shown.