Transfer doesn't seem to work

For the past 2 days I have transferred files but have not been able to see those files when displaying my website. If I right click on open I can see the changes have been made on the server, but they are not visible when I go to the actual web address. I downloaded the latest version recently, and this began after that time.

Try to refresh your browser by holding the ctrl or shift key while clicking on the refresh button.

Are you sure you are uploading the files to the correct folder on the server?

Regards,
Mat

Try to refresh your browser by holding the ctrl or shift key while clicking on the refresh button.

Are you sure you are uploading the files to the correct folder on the server?

Regards,
Mat

Yes, I am sure I am uploading to the correct file.

Yesterday I tried refreshing my screen several times, which usually works, but that didn't work. I have turned the computer off and on each night for the past two nights, which I would think would clear any cache problem, but still can't see the changes. I also looked at it on another computer thinking it was a cache issue on the computer at work, but don't see the changes on the other computer either.

Basic question: if the file on the server is correct, should it automatically 'publish' to the web, or could there be a step that hasn't completed?

I'm not a professional web designer, just do the updates to our site. Help, please!

Hello ..

There is no additional step required. If the file appears on the FTP server it should be reflected immediately when you access it through your browser.

You can try the following:
1. Delete the file on the FTP server using SmartFTP
2. Refresh the file/page in the browser
3. If the page still shows then you have either deleted the wrong file or the page is served from a cache

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

There is no additional step required. If the file appears on the FTP server it should be reflected immediately when you access it through your browser.

You can try the following:
1. Delete the file on the FTP server using SmartFTP
2. Refresh the file/page in the browser
3. If the page still shows then you have either deleted the wrong file or the page is served from a cache

Regards,
Mat

I deleted the file from the server and could still see it when I view the website. I hit refresh and control-refresh and shift-refresh and it was still there.
I have no idea how I could have deleted the wrong file when I only have one set of files and I have checked the link properties, etc. This is the same thing I have been doing for 2 years and all of a sudden it doesn't work.

16:24:23] The operation has been added to the Transfer Queue. Check the Transfer Queue for the status.
[16:24:24] SIZE blog.html
[16:24:24] 213 3463
[16:24:24] MDTM blog.html
[16:24:24] 213 20090618212424
[16:24:24] STAT blog.html
[16:24:24] 211-Status of blog.html:
[16:24:24] -rw-r--r-- 1 thefrenchknot psacln 3463 Jun 18 21:24 blog.html
[16:24:24] 211 End of Status
[16:24:37] The operation has been added to the Transfer Queue. Check the Transfer Queue for the status.
[16:24:54] NOOP
[16:24:54] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:25:24] NOOP
[16:25:24] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:25:55] NOOP
[16:25:58] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:26:28] NOOP
[16:26:28] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:26:58] NOOP
[16:26:58] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:27:28] NOOP
[16:27:28] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:27:58] NOOP
[16:27:58] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:28:28] NOOP
[16:28:29] 200 NOOP command successful
[16:28:48] 421 No Transfer Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.

This was the log from when I deleted it then transferred it back out there (I've done it twice now). Does that look like it worked? May be a stupid question, but I can see the file (on the left side of my SmartFTP screen), and it is the correct version, so back to the previous question, since I can see it on the left side of my screen and it's correct, why can't I see it on the web? And if the transfer didn't work, why can I see it on the left side of my screen?

You might be uploading the file to the wrong folder or server. Please contact your web hosting provider. They can tell you whether the file is in the correct place.