Smartftp imcompatible with ZoneAlarm firewall

HI, G'day

I could not use smartftp to upload and download files to my site without turning off Zonealarm firewall.
How can I fix this problem? How can I configure either smartftp or Zonealarm in order to enable ftp access?

thanks alot
tong

Add SmartFTP to the exceptions in the ZA settings. Also make sure that you have the latest version of ZA installed.

Thanks mb:

Is this what you mean? To add SmartFTP to the exceptions in the ZA settings. I did the following:

With Zonealarm, under firewall->zone, there is an add/remove button for name, zone, entry type, IP address/site, where I can enter zone, host name, description, I choose:
Zone: Trusted
Host name: ftp.mysite.com
description: smartftp
but still cannot access without disable ZA. Do you think I did anything incorrect in the above process?

thanks alot
tong

We have a tutorial for ZA:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/howto/

It might not apply to the latest version of ZA but it shouldn't be much different in the new version.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks mb:

I watched the video, and configured ZoneAlarm under program control, selected all 4 columns to "Allow", still smartftp can not be connected !! It does not give me message saying "it cannot be connected ...." etc, but it just loading , loading, loading, ...then it just stops and just a plain screen.

Also, I have Avira AntiVir antivirus, do you think it is possible my antivirus program also block ftp access as well?

thanks alot
tong

Hello ..

Disable ZA then try connect. If it doesnt work disable Antivir and try to connect. If this doesnt work uninstall ZA and try connect and at last uninstall Antivir.

Regards,
Mat

Hi, Mat

When I disable ZA, Smartftp is connected with no problems. But if I use Smartftp while my firewall is disabled, that will make myself vulnerable. Apart from setting permission in ZA program control above, which I have tried and still remain no access with Smartftp, any other suggestion on Smartftp or ZA configuration you can give me to fix this problem?

Also can you suggest some firewall programs which is compatible with Smartftp that I can try? if the above attempts are not working.

thanks alot
tong

Try to install the latest version of ZA.

Other than that personally I believe the Windows Vista integrated firewall is sufficient enough.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks Mat

I set permission in ZA zone with my ip address and ftp.mysite.com, and it works !!! I can access smartftp now !

thanks alot
tong