Huge memory leak and CPU hogging

During the startup of the my latest copy 1023.4, when i start the program and the splash screen loads, it hogs my computer.

From task manager i can see that mem usage is increasing in jumps of 3-10MB. It reached 500MB before i stopped it. The CPU was over 70% all the time. I tried reinstalling, but it didn't help.

I've also noticed that the TQ doesn't load the files from .xml transfer queue lists that i have saved [maybe it's a backward compatibility issue], but this has happened with many different versions. The TQ also takes a looong time sometimes, before it realizes that a file has changed. The visual compare instantly shows that the files have changed compared by their size - turning by default to pink, but it can take 0 to many minutes for smartftp to realize that and then start uploading [the TQ isnt stopped or paused for sure], sometimes it uploads the files immediately. It's not the server connection either, it's the monitor itself - the Status just says "Monitoring", not "connecting" or "pre-transfer".

I've noticed that the TQ turned bad since my last complaint and your fix to it [maybe it's a coincidence though] - https://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.ph ... =15398&hl=

A small update.

I waited for a while and the program finally loaded.

The CPU went to 6% and the Mem usage is constant at 423MB.

During the previous run i had specified that i want to restore nothing on startupo. But i saw 3 files in TQ this time. When i closed Smartftp , Smartftp Started using CPU >= 70% again [upto 99%] and mem usage hopped again to 550MB and then start falling gradually, with a CPU at 40-99%

Be aware that the fluctuation in the MEM usage is also caused by the page file, coz at some points the MEM is transferred into the page file and so the usage seems to fall, when it's actually not. As i'm writing this, the program still hasn't closed and mem is fluctuatuin around 140MB and CPU at 20%. I'm waiting for the end result

Here's my System Information:

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 1399 MHz
Total Memory : 767 MB
Free Memory : 122 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1023.4
Time Stamp : 2008-09-30 01:00:16
Platform : x86
Id : 400062466
Days in use : 180

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.14.6
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.19.4
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.14
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.16.4
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.14.4
SmartFTPPS.dll : 3.0.1023.4

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1023.4

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.11

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Cool. The usage fell to 20MB and CPU 5% and then bam, went back up again to 400MB and is now fluctuating at 350MB....

And it's closed now. It took 6 minutes for it to close

Unable to reproduce problem. Please provide a proper bugreport with detailed instructions how to reproduce it.

I would, if i would know how to reproduce it. THat's why i described it as detailed as possible - maybe something gives a hint...

Is there a way i could completely uninstall SMartFTP - so that it doesnt even remember the login settings?

You can delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP

But I would first make a backup (Export the registry key in regedit.exe) before you delete it. So in case this "fixes" the problem you can always revert back to the old settings to reproduce the problem.

Basically what we need to know is when exactly is SmartFTP starting to use this huge amount of memory? Are you monitoring a file or a folder?

If you want to delete your favorites delete the following folder on your computer:
%AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Favorites

Regards,
Mat

You can delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP

But I would first make a backup (Export the registry key in regedit.exe) before you delete it. So in case this "fixes" the problem you can always revert back to the old settings to reproduce the problem.

Basically what we need to know is when exactly is SmartFTP starting to use this huge amount of memory? Are you monitoring a file or a folder?

If you want to delete your favorites delete the following folder on your computer:
%AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Favorites

Regards,
Mat
As i described, the huge memory hogging starts when i start smarftp [all instances have been closed before i do the start]. it also uses CPU intensively. It hogs the builds up mem for about 1 minute and then creates a smartftp bar in the taskbar - before, it's simply doing some preloading [it's in the splashpage stadium, when it is doing the memory thing]. I am monitoring no files - the TQ is completely empty when the program finally starts. There are no local or remote browsers opened...

I'll try the complete removal

When trying to make the backup manually, the program hangs - the backup button stays pressed in and memory is fluctuating big - between 100MB and 400MB. The backup doesnt want. The sizes of my backup files range from 140KB to 180KB. The backup tool has been running for 5 minutes now, but smartftp's CPU is around 20 but occasionally jumps to 99...

Is there anything else i could describe/find out?

I removed the registry key + renamed the Favourites folder - this fixed the problem. But the cause is still not fixed.

Can you narrow down the problem? Try to use the old favorites folder again. And then check the favorites folder for anomalies.

Sort all the files in the folder by size and then look at the largest file. Maybe you have a really big .xml file. If this is the case please zip/rar the xml file and send it to us.

Regards,
Mat

I checked all the files. They were all 9-10KB in size [the old files. i now have a completely new favorites folder]