Automatically start monitoring uploaded files

Here's my repetitive task which i do every day hundreds of times

0. Pause the transfer queue
1. select files from local browser
2. Press upload button, which overwrites and merges according to my favourite automatic upload settings - so i don't need to confirm it
3. manually make SF to monitor the files i just wanted to upload
4. start the queue

It could all be reduced to 2 things: select the files and press the upload button.

Another question. When monitoring folders, each time one file inside the folder changes, the whole folder is uploaded.
It would be convenient to monitor the root folder and all files from the root and subfolders are automatically monitored - this would eliminate the first problem i described, as i would need to just monitor 1 folder.

Also, when i restart SF and i didnt empty the monitored files list, it reuploads all files, no matter when they are simply "Monitored" or "Process and monitor". I want it to continue from the same place it left - meaning, that they are not uploaded, when the files are not modified during the time i don't use SF.

Hello ...

I do not really understand your problem. If you monitor a folder the folder and all its subfolders are monitored. It means if there is a change in the folder or its subfolders the item will be processed.

If you se the Monitor optoni to "Montor File/Folder" the folder will not processed when you start SmartFTP and only if SmartFTP detects a change in the monitored folder.

Regards,
Mat

When i use "Monitor file/folder" on a folder and then some file inside that folder changes, then all the files [including from subfolders] are uploaded - what is the reason for such behaviours. I mean, there is no likely scenario where this would be necessary. Imo, it would be better if only the changed file gets uploaded. Maybe you could please take it as a requested feature - to only upload files which actually are changed from the monitored folder.

When i use "Monitor file/folder" and when smartftp restarts, the monitored folder will not be uploaded automatically [even if the contents changed during smartftp's sleep - but that should probably be this way].
But when i use "Process and Monitor file/folder", it uploads the folder once and then starts monitoring it. But when i restart SmartFTP, it processes the folder automatically again - that creates a real big mess sometimes, when there are multiple people working on the sme project and smartftp rewrites all the existing files. This behaviour imo isn't necessary either. What i expect it to do is "Process once and then monitor" not process every time smartftp is started or the transfer queue is loaded from a file. COuld you please also add this to requested features - or do i have to post it in the right subforum.

I also discovered, that "Monitor file/folder" processes the monitored files when you add a transfer queue from .xml to the list - that's a bit odd...

>Previuos Reply
In most cases the shell doesn't tell us what specific files have changed, all it tells us it that something has changed. Thus the whole folder needs to be processed again. Only the changed files are uploaded and not all of them again.

>I also discovered, that "Monitor file/folder" processes the monitored files when you add a transfer queue from .xml to the list - that's a bit odd...
Can you explain this further?

Regards,
Mat

When i add a file and mark it as "Monitor file/folder" and then save the transfer queue as an xml file. Then i empty the transfer queue and click the Add button for the transfer queue and then select the xml file and once smarftp parses the xml file and adds the 1 file to the queue, it processes the file - is that what it is supposed to do?

I didn't know shell only provides so little information. Maybe you could create a feature which recursively checks the files for their modification date and/or size to figure out exactly which file got changed - that would be an awesome feature...

I noticed another thing.

When i add the files from the .xml they get processed, but the monitoring doesn't work anymore - i change the file in all sorts of ways [size and modification date] but the monitor doesnt see that and doesnt process it[The problem is not in the status of the queue - paused/stopped/running, coz it was Running]. Only after i hit pause and start, and then modify the file, it actually processes it.

Do you add a monitored item from an XML file or is the monitored item that is not working already in the transfer queue?

Do you add a monitored item from an XML file or is the monitored item that is not working already in the transfer queue?

To reproduce it, do this:

1. pause the TQ
2. add a file from local browser to TQ
3. Set "Monitor FIle/Folder" for the added file
4. Start the TQ -> the file does not get processed
5. Save the TQ to an .xml file
6. Clear the TQ
7. Click the Add button to add elements to the TQ from an .xml file and select the file you just created
->
The file gets added to the TQ and is also immediately processed.

System info:

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1022.19
Time Stamp : 2008-09-05 18:34:43
Platform : x86

Thank you for fixing it

What about the Folder monitoring stuff though - so that only the file that is changed is uploaded . Will you put that request into the queue?

Yes it's some we have planned but it depends mostly on the user demand.

Yes it's some we have planned but it depends mostly on the user demand.

is this something that is possible yet.... i.e. set a monitor on a folder and only uploaded the additional or changed files in that folder?

best regards
Jonny

It's not possible yet but we are working on it.