Please help: new guy confused.

I have smart ftp. A client in the US (I'm a Brit) asked me my FTP details so he can upload to my FTP server. What do I actually give him so he can do this?? Please I'm not a technical guy so can anyone tell me which pieces of info I need to send this guy??

Thanks

Hello ..

Have you setup an FTP server on your computer? Usually it its easier to exchange files over a FTP server located at your web hosting provider. Then you have to give them the username, password and host information of the server where he can upload the files.

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat, thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Not sure exactly, I paid for a years use of the software, have the icon on my screen i click it I get the smartftp page. I know username and password but I dont understand what the host info means..how do I find this out?? Really puzzled here.. In the "URL box" it says "www.blooloop.com - assetmgr" but if the guy in the US puts this in his browser it doesn't do anything for him. Does he have to have smart FTP downloaded too? Lost here...

Hello ..

Have you setup an FTP server on your computer? Usually it its easier to exchange files over a FTP server located at your web hosting provider. Then you have to give them the username, password and host information of the server where he can upload the files.

Regards,
Mat

The situation is like that:
O=Owner (you)
F=FTP server (managed/located at your web hosting provider)
W=Web server (managed/located at your web hosting provider)
S=SmartFTP
U=User that wants to download file

A possible way to share a file is as following:
- O uploads file using S to F
- U downloads file using Internet Explorer from W

What you need is the username/password and host name to connect to your FTP server. You can get this information from the comany which manages the FTP/Web server.

Regards,
Mat

if i may answer, host name would be www.blooloop.com

"www.blooloop.com - assetmgr" showing on the smartftp URL dropdown is a combination for the host and login combination for history purposes within smartftp. using the whole thing in the browser will give you page not found.

Ftp.yourdomain.com
username
password

this should be all they need