"Verify Class ID" error prevents SFTP from starting

Hi,

I have just purchased the professional version of SFTP today (Aug 27, 2008) and downloaded the newest version.
Before installing I uninstalled the old free version, because it didn't work anymore, then I installed the new version.

I got the following error (screenshots):
[img=http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7898 ... ho5.th.png]
[img=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4409 ... vr8.th.png]
[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8523 ... it7.th.png]
[img=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9223 ... hp6.th.png]
[img=http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4392 ... dr5.th.png]
[img=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6417/v ... zb0.th.png]

I am not able to take any traces or core dumps, because SFTP fails to even start.

I found out somewhere through google that probably (after some Windows XP security update) the Class ID has to be specifically allowed, so most likely the error "sfFTPShellExtension.dll shell extension is disabled or not correctly registered. hr=0x80070005" says that this shell extension is not enabled/allowed in the registry.

I checked in the shell extensions in the registry, but could not see this one. I saw some other SmartFTP extensions on the list, but not this one.

Could you help me, please!!!

I really liked the old SFTP and that's the reason I bought the new one. If it doesn't now work, what's the use paying for it?!?!?

How can I manually enter the correct stuff in the registry to fix this problem? What key and value do I enter and where?

As I said at the beginning, don't ask me to provide traces, because SFTP does not even start.

webzy

Hello ..

The Verify Class Id window originates from the verclsid.exe program from Microsoft.

What kind of software firewall or antivirus product do you have instaleld? Can you try to disable them and try again?

Do you have all Security/Important Updates installed from WindowsUpdate?

Regards,
mat

The problem is very likely related to/caused by the software firewall or antivirus product. That's the reason why my recommendation was to disable or uninstall them temporary.

The old version did not use the same dlls and therefore was not affected by this problem.

Regards,
Mat

The problem is very likely related to/caused by the software firewall or antivirus product. That's the reason why my recommendation was to disable or uninstall them temporary.

Oh, so you mean I should only disable them when I install SFTP, but then I can enable these programs again?

webzy

Hello webzy

We believe there is a bug in the CyberArmor software which prevents SmartFTP from working correctly. To confirm this you would need to uninstall CyberArmor and then reinstall SmartFTP and see if it works without CyberArmor installed.

Why do we think so? Because another customer reported a similar problem and he also has the CyberArmor product installed.

Regards,
Mat

We believe there is a bug in the CyberArmor software which prevents SmartFTP from working correctly. To confirm this you would need to uninstall CyberArmor and then reinstall SmartFTP and see if it works without CyberArmor installed.

OK, I'll try that then... but will I be able to install CA after installing SFTP?... will see, I guess...

webzy

Hi,

Unfortunately after disabling CyberArmor and reinstalling SFTP the problem is still there.

I would really like someone to tell me how to edit the registry to allow/enable/register sfFTPShellExtension.dll based on the instructions from Microsoft you gave me in your email earlier.

All I need is the info on how to manually add SFTP shell extensions to the registry, specifically the sfFTPShellExtension.dll. I have not yet checked in the registry whether the other DLLs need registering as well : sfFTPLib.dll , sfFavorites.dll , sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll , sfTransferQueue.dll
but once I have the sfFTPShellExtension.dll problem taken care of, I can worry about those.

webzy

Did you uninstall CyberArmor (disabling is not enough).

Regards,
Mat

Did you uninstall CyberArmor (disabling is not enough).

No, unfortunately I don't have enough rights on my work laptop (even though I have admin rights) to do that. Firewall and probably a couple of other SWs are password protected by some IT guys form support desk. I can't ask them to do that either, because we're supposed to have CA installed

I used to use your old SFTP with no problems even with all the "security" SWs and encryption etc. I was not able to use it while at work, but at home no problem.

Is there anything else I could do??? What do you think about my question about the registry manipulation? That I could do without asking any permission They would not like it, of course, but then again, they would not like 99% of stuff I do to my laptop or with my laptop

webzy

Hello webzy ..

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Go to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

Then create a new DWORD value. The name of this value is as following:
{82AA9188-44E0-40B9-B956-43A10C315B4F} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401
And the value has to be set to 1

Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer

Regards,
Mat

As far as I understand it the registry key in the Cached key causes the verclsid.exe to bypass the check. There is a good article at:
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1189210,00.html

This should not be necessary since our shell extension doesn't do anything weird. But it may fix the problem with the firewall.

Regards,
Mat

Oh now we don't know what actually "fixed" the problem :-(

Regards,
Mat

Oh now we don't know what actually "fixed" the problem :-(

Regards,
Mat
Well, the exe you gave me actually made it possible for SFTP to start, but the errors are still there.

I don't know what did the creating of the registry key do, but I will experiment and let you know

webzy

Hello webzy ..

What version of CyberArmor are you running?

Regards,
Mat

Hello webzy ..

What version of CyberArmor are you running?

Hi,

Version 3.0.40520B

webzy

Can you please install the latest version 3.5?

It seems they have fixed the bug in this version.

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

Can you please install the latest version 3.5?

It seems they have fixed the bug in this version.

Hi again,

That's great news

I will try that and let you know how it went.

webzy

Hello ..

We have received the following report from a user:

The following versions of CyberArmor defintively prevent SmartFTP to work correctly:
CyberArmor v2.2
CyberArmor v2.6

The following version of CyberArmor corrects the problem:
CyberArmor v3.5

In conclusion. If you are using any version of CyberArmor before v3.5 upgrade to the latest version or use another software firewall product that went through testing and is recommended by Microsoft.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP

In conclusion. If you are using any version of CyberArmor before v3.5 upgrade to the latest version or use another software firewall product that went through testing and is recommended by Microsoft.

Thanks for your help
I will try that solution for sure.

webzy

Thanks Mat. I did both things you suggested: I first run the exe you pointed me to and after that I did the registry trick, rebooted, etc.

Something must have worked because I can now open and use the SFTP

BUT there are still some "Verify Class ID" errors occuring from time to time, especially while trying to view the contents of a directory, but at least I can do what I want.

I will dig some more in the registry and try to put a few more keys in the cache, like the one I just did.

For now the biggest problem is over I am happy.

I will let you know what I was able to do more to get rid of the other errors, but not now, 'cause it's 12:45am here and I really am sleepy

Have a good evening and "talk" to you soon.

webzy

I've having this problem too. I did the registry trick, but I can't locate the "exe" you mention.

Do you have CyberArmor installed?

No, I use COMODO Firewall Pro. I do have the Windows XP firewall turned off.

Since my old computer is slowly passing I'm in the process of reinstalling all my applications on a new
computer I'm building from scratch. I didn't have any SFTP problems on the old computer because I was
short some security patches. On my new bare hard drive I'm all the way out to SP3 and
all security patches. And now I'm installing 2 to 3 applications per evening. Unfortunately
I ran into the Shell Extension problem.

I uninstalled my Comodo firewall. The problem still persists.

Try to install the latest version from here:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

You can also use the ShellExView tool to make sure that the SmartFTP shell extensions are not disabled.

Regards,
Mat

ShellExView is a nifty little program. All the SmartFTP extensions were enabled.

However, I successfully installed the Beta over my existing SmartFTP and things seem to work ok for now.

Hello,
I am having problems using SmartFTP. I have followed all the recommendations in this trend but still can't get it to work. I could not install the beta version cos i got an error on verify class id and installation could not continue. I have CyberAmor as well. Any idea what i could do?

At first the error was something about sfFTPSmartExtension.dll shell extension; i did the manipulation using regedit and got a verify class id error which closes the client altogether.

It's a confirmed bug in CyberArmor. They have fixed it in the latest version of their product.

Regards,
Mat