SmartFTP KILLING my internet connection

I have had to restart my computer SEVEN times in the last 1-2 hours because every single time I even just open Smart FTP my Internet connection dies. Kaput, gone completely until I restart both my computer and modem router.
Now granted, we don't have the best Internet connection here however for it to work fine until I open Smart FTP and to have it suddenly stop working as soon as I do leads me to believe it's a Smart FTP thing. It doesn't matter if I open it as soon as my computer is restarted or after 20 minutes are perfectly fine Internet browsing/usage....the second SFTP is opened my internet is gone.
I never had any problems with the free version of the software....now a week after spending $50 on it I get a major problem with it.....I'm a little annoyed to say the least!

Anyone have any idea what's causing it and how I can fix it?

Oh and make that thirteen restarts now

Hello ..

I do not think this is related to SmartFTP.

Regards,
Mat

So it's just coincidence that now 17 times in a row I have opened Smart FTP it's killed my Internet?
2 or 3 times I'd perhaps agree, but not 17. And if it happened with other programs as well as Smart FTP I'd agree, but it doesn't. OK it might not be Smart FTP's fault....but there is a problem between SFTP and my computer/Internet connection.

You can try to disable and uninstall the antivirus product and software firewall you have installed and then try again.

And as a last resort I recommend to reinstall your system .

I don't see how disabling and/or uninstalling my antivirus would make a difference since this problem has only shown up today and I haven't changed anything. But I can give it a go.

And I'd rather say "Sod the $50" and go and find an alternate program than re-install my system.

Do you have a dialup connection?

If yes do you have the Auto Dialer in the menu: Settings->Tools Queue->Auto Dialer disabled? If not you should disable it.

Regards,
Mat

We have broadband, not dial up. Auto Dialer is disabled.

Will posting my system info help get me more support?

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

CPU Speed : 1864 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 2047 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1015.5
Time Stamp : 2008-05-02 14:09:20
Platform : x86
Id : *********
Days in use : 102

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.17
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.11.5
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.8.5
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.6.5

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1015.5

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.6001.18000

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

30 restarts later my internet is still dying when (and ONLY when) I open Smart FTP

Downloaded and installed............and made no difference at all.

Any other suggestions? Any other info that might help anyone figure out why it's happening?

It's not a problem with my antivirus and/or antispyware - SmartFTP had been working fine with them both installed with no problem for months. Neither have been changed recently (certainly not since way before the problems started)
Same with Windows updates....it's nothing there....I haven't installed updates for nearly 2 weeks, problems started 5/6 days ago.
No other programs have been installed recently, nothing that fits the time frame. And no other updates for anything have been installed.

In short - these problems showed up with no other changes on my computer coinciding with them.

Hi, maybe you can try to install a network snifer to see where the problem is, or you can try to use cmd and write netstat -no with al remote browsers closed. Also you can try to disable UPnP at Settings->Connection.

What are your upload/download limits?

Does your internet connection die just by starting SmartFTP or when actively working on a ftp server (transferring files, browsing etc) ?

I have had to restart my computer SEVEN times in the last 1-2 hours because every single time I even just open Smart FTP my Internet connection dies. Kaput, gone completely until I restart both my computer and modem router.
Now granted, we don't have the best Internet connection here however for it to work fine until I open Smart FTP and to have it suddenly stop working as soon as I do leads me to believe it's a Smart FTP thing. It doesn't matter if I open it as soon as my computer is restarted or after 20 minutes are perfectly fine Internet browsing/usage....the second SFTP is opened my internet is gone.
I never had any problems with the free version of the software....now a week after spending $50 on it I get a major problem with it.....I'm a little annoyed to say the least!

Anyone have any idea what's causing it and how I can fix it?

Oh and make that thirteen restarts now

It dies just by starting SmartFTP, don't get chance to try and upload/download anything because the connection dies so quickly.

We have unlimited* upload/download limits.

*Fair usage policy does apply but no way would we come anywhere close to using too much. I've downloaded several GB s of trial software over a few days before and not had our connection stopped or slowed. The only things we upload/download in terms of files is the website, which in total is 200Mb, and we rarely, if ever, download or upload the entire lot. The rest is just general browsing of the web.
Also, if in our providers opinion we were using too much, they would simply slow down our connection, not stop it. They would also contact us and they haven't done so far.

I installed a network sniffer but I have no idea how it works or what to do.
I don't know about doing the cmd netstat -no thing...I don't know about it and I don't like messing with cmd things that I don't know about.
I could try to disable UPnP but it will probably mean restarting my computer yet again....which I've already had to do 7 times today and it's getting very annoying/tiresome/boring.

Sorry, with limit I actually meant speed limits. Not amount caps. Up and downstream.

I have a hard time understanding why SmartFTP would kill your internet connection when
you're not even actively using it.

what , if any, firewall software or security suits are you using ?

Hello ..

I think Aokromes has a good idea. Disable UPnP in the menu: Tools->Settings "Transfer" dialog. Then restart SmartFTP. You do not have to restart your computer for the setting to be active.

Regards,
Mat

Sorry, with limit I actually meant speed limits. Not amount caps. Up and downstream.

I have a hard time understanding why SmartFTP would kill your internet connection when
you're not even actively using it.

what , if any, firewall software or security suits are you using ?
Download is up to 8Mb/sec.
Upload is 448Kb/sec

I'm using AVG 8, Spyware Terminator and Spyware Blaster.

Hello ..

I think Aokromes has a good idea. Disable UPnP in the menu: Tools->Settings "Transfer" dialog. Then restart SmartFTP. You do not have to restart your computer for the setting to be active.

Regards,
Mat
I have tried that now, it didn't make a difference. It's not the setting it that requires the restart, it's the fact that my internet connection will not come back if I don't restart both my comp and my modem, which is why this problem is so annoying.

I'm open to any more ideas or suggestions....

I can't believe it but I'm actually considering scrapping the next few days of actual work to re-install Windows and all the programs....which I shouldn't have to do just for a $50 FTP program...it's already cost way more than $50 of my time so far....43 computer restarts at over 4 minutes each soon builds up!

Is your computer connect to a router or do you have the ADSL modem connected to your computer (USB)?

Regards,
Mat

It's connected wirelessly to an ADSL wireless modem/router.

Can you please post the system information from the menu: Help->About dialog again.

And then delete the following registry key:
1. Start Menu. Then Run ... Then enter regedit.exe and press Enter
2. Delete the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP
3. Now you have to disable UPnP again in the menu: Tools->Settings. Then Connection dialog.

If you do not want to restart your dsl modem etc for testing purpose just disable your wireless connection in the control panel->Networks.

Regards,
Mat

System info again:
+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

CPU Speed : 1864 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 1842 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1022.6
Time Stamp : 2008-08-26 00:41:09
Platform : x86
Id : *********
Days in use : 111

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.44
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.18.6
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.13
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.15.6
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.13.6
SmartFTPPS.dll : 3.0.1022.6

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1022.6

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.6001.18241

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

I think the above solution worked, at least for a while (2-3 mins).....however it's now not working again.

After a re-install of Vista, SmartFTP appears to be working correctly.

Thanks for your help with trying to get it to work...even if it didn't solve the problem I still appreciate the help