Runtime Error

I have been getting Runtime Error messages at different stages of file transfer. I went to the knowledebase and fiound a post on the subject. I followed the post and reloaded SmartFTP but it still is happening.

Can I get some help?

Try to delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP
using regedit.exe

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information"

Regards,
Mat

Try to delete the registry key at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP
using regedit.exe

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information"

Regards,
Mat
There is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP in the Registry Editor.

Here is the system information.
+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 2127 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 2047 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1021.14
Time Stamp : 2008-08-07 21:42:10
Platform : x86
Id : 400024451
Days in use : 339

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.42
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.17.14
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.13
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.14.14
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.12.14
SmartFTPPS.dll : 3.0.1021.14

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1021.14

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.13

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

>There is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP in the Registry Editor.
Please look again:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP

Regards,
Mat

>There is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP in the Registry Editor.
Please look again:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP

Regards,
Mat
You know out of all the things I lost in my life my mind is the thing I miss the most.

I found it, right where it was suppose to be. I look in HKEY_USER instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP, removed SmartFTP and re-installed it. I have it running now and will let you know if it happens again.

Sorry about that, this is what happens to senior citizens!

Thank You
Ed

You know out of all the things I lost in my life my mind is the thing I miss the most.

I found it, right where it was suppose to be. I look in HKEY_USER instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP, removed SmartFTP and re-installed it. I have it running now and will let you know if it happens again.

Sorry about that, this is what happens to senior citizens!

Thank You
Ed
Well it is happening again. It runs for awhile and then I get the Runtime Error and it shuts down.

Hm. Can you reproduce it? It means after you delete the license key what are the minimal steps to reproduce the crash?

Regards,
Mat

Hm. Can you reproduce it? It means after you delete the license key what are the minimal steps to reproduce the crash?

Regards,
Mat

After it shuts down, I restart it where it left off and in a matter of time it gets another Runtime Error.

Can you please provide step by step instructions after a new installation of SmartFTP?

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

Can you please provide step by step instructions after a new installation of SmartFTP?

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

First I open SmartFTP, then I click on file and New Remote Browser. I then add my server FTP information.

Second I click file and New Local Browser to add my C:drive.

I then highlight the file (s) that I want to transfer and click the arrow in the middle. They go into the Transfer Queue and I click on the Start arrow.

And when do you get the runtime error exactly?

Is there something that makes SmartFTP not crash? E.g. if you close the Remote Browser before you start the Transfer Queue etc.

The only way we can fix the problem is if we can reproduce it here. So before you start always delete the registry key as describe above. Then you try to figure out what is likely to cause the crash. E.g. only if you open the Local Browser, only if you have the Remot Browser open, only when you have the Transfer Queue started. This will limit the possible causes for the runtime exception.

Regards,
Mat

And when do you get the runtime error exactly?

Is there something that makes SmartFTP not crash? E.g. if you close the Remote Browser before you start the Transfer Queue etc.

The only way we can fix the problem is if we can reproduce it here. So before you start always delete the registry key as describe above. Then you try to figure out what is likely to cause the crash. E.g. only if you open the Local Browser, only if you have the Remot Browser open, only when you have the Transfer Queue started. This will limit the possible causes for the runtime exception.

Regards,
Mat

Are you saying to delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP everytime before I start using SmartFTP.

You then want me to try and fiquire out what is runing when I get the Runtime Error?

The last time it happened I was away from my computer watching the news and the programs that where open are;
Art Plus Easynoter, Incredimail, Followup Expert and AVG.

The runtime error is triggered by a very specific function or action. The difficult part is to figure out what this function or action is. Once this has been identified you can reproduce the problem on your system in a controlled manner without waiting minutes until it happens. It might not be necessary to delete the registry key each time you start SmartFTP since it looks that it does not make a difference.
Regards,
Mat

The runtime error is triggered by a very specific function or action. The difficult part is to figure out what this function or action is. Once this has been identified you can reproduce the problem on your system in a controlled manner without waiting minutes until it happens. It might not be necessary to delete the registry key each time you start SmartFTP since it looks that it does not make a difference.
Regards,
Mat

Ok I will document what is happening everytime it happens and get back to you.

Thank You for all your help.

Ed Reuben
CJN Promotions