CR/LF

We were picking up files from an FTP site using FTPS Explicit. They recently did something that broke their FTPS connections so we had to switch to SFTP as that was the only other option. When we used to pick up the files using FTPS, we would have CR/LF pairs after each line using ASCII mode, but with the new SFTP connection, we are only getting the LF and it is messing up our processing of the files. I tried switching between binary and ascii and I get the same result both ways. Is there some way I can force it to do CR/LF after each line?
Also, I recently upgraded to the latest version (3.0.1021.11).

Thanks,
Steven

Hello Steven ..

This is not possible because the SFTP protocol version 3 does not support ASCII transfers. It means the SFTP client has to do the conversation on its own. But this is also not very reliable. We usually recommend to use a text editor which supports unix line ending. Almost any editor beside notepad does support this. There are also tools (unix2dos) which convert the line endings.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks for the response. I actually had a hunch that was the problem, and I understand how you are saying that isn't reliable to convert it on the client side all the time, especially if you had a binary file that happened to have data that was a line feed and you wouldn't want it adding bytes. However, it would be nice if we could override on the specific settings that if we choose it to be ASCII, if it could convert the LF to CR/LF since I'm saying it should be a text file. Of course, if the users screws up they may screw up their data, but that could happen even with regular FTP.

Thanks

Hello ..

We will consider implementing client side ASCII conversation for SFTP transfers. If the server supports SFTP protocol version 4 it can be done reliably.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

Client side ASCII conversation has been implemented in the latest version:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

It would be great if you can give it a try.
Thank you
Regards,
Mat

Mat,
I gave it a try a few times and it seems to be working great.
Thanks for taking the time to implement this feature.

Steven