SmartFTP hangs on accessing some FTP servers (Windows 2000 client)

Hello,

I have some problems with the latest version of SmartFTP on my Windows 2000 machine (actually version 3.0.1011.10). When I try to connect to some servers (not all) of the local network of my organization the connection seems going well, but just before showing the list of the files on the server's directory, SmartFTP hangs and it's necessary terminating it (no error visualized).

I suppose the problem is in SmartFTP and not on the servers, because I tried to install SmartFTP on a Windows XP Professional machine, and I had no problem (same problem on another Windows 2000 PC I tested).

The servers are generally *nix servers (many of them have various Linux distributions and often wuftp installed - no problem with the only Windows 2000 Server machine I've tested), but I don't know if the problem is linked to the servers configurations.

These are the system informations on my PC extracted from the corresponding window of SmartFTP:

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)

CPU Speed : 1794 MHz
Total Memory : 502 MB
Free Memory : 270 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1011.10
Time Stamp : 2008-03-26 23:46:07
Platform : x86
Licensed
Days in use : 138

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.12.34
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.7.10
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.4.10
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.2.10

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTPITA.dll : 3.0.1011.5

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Hello ..

Can you try to create a reproducible case? For example if it hangs with a public FTP server we can access as well we will be able to look at it.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

Can you try to create a reproducible case? For example if it hangs with a public FTP server we can access as well we will be able to look at it.

Regards,
Mat

Hello,

I further investigated the problem and I discovered that, where possible, the anonymous connection to the problematic servers seems working (not so the authenticated connection). It's difficult for me apply your testing suggestion on a public FTP server (all the servers I know don't require authentication, so the connection always works... ).

Do you know public servers with mandatory authentication?

Hello,

I further investigated the problem and I discovered that, where possible, the anonymous connection to the problematic servers seems working (not so the authenticated connection). It's difficult for me apply your testing suggestion on a public FTP server (all the servers I know don't require authentication, so the connection always works... ).

Do you know public servers with mandatory authentication?

Little add-on... I've tried to connect to a free web space provider (with authentication) and I haven't had any problem... It's really a mess...

We are unable to reproduce it. Please provide step by step instructions.

Thank you.

We are unable to reproduce it. Please provide step by step instructions.

Thank you.

Hello again,

I'm not surprised of your difficulty in reproducing the problem. As I said early in this thread, the problem appears on some internal servers (*nix servers) of my organization network (not on all servers), so I think there is some strange interaction from the client and the server/network configuration which generates the bug. So I've decided to downgrade my SmartFTP to the latest 2.5 version (which has no problems), until I'll pass to a more recent Windows version.

Thanks for your help.