Keyboard Focus

I'm new to SmartFTP, and my initial response is simply "Wow!" Let's see: Flexible interface, good keyboard support, intelligent design, gobs of functionality, superb documentation, outstanding performance, stability, compelling pricing, and a great website. SmartFTP is simply head and shoulders above all the other products I've looked out and used.

But, for me, there's one piece of the puzzle missing. Where's the refinement of the keyboard control? How do you get focus into a browser window without clicking? The product has good keyboard support in the form of a plethora of keyboard shortcuts, but why does the <Tab> key not perform as expected? If these issues get resolved, this old school, time-and-motion engineer, who abhors the mouse, rates this product a solid 10 out of 10!

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback and/or comments!

Hello ..

Thanks for the compliments.

I assume that you have figured out the Ctrl+Tab key shortcut to select a mdi child. But what you probably mean is the tab between the controls (list, tree, address bar). This is currently not possible but we will look into it asap.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

Thanks for the compliments.

I assume that you have figured out the Ctrl+Tab key shortcut to select a mdi child. But what you probably mean is the tab between the controls (list, tree, address bar). This is currently not possible but we will look into it asap.

Regards,
Mat
Yes. It's all there...Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+F6, jump to file/folder by typing, Alt+Hyphen, Backspace, Alt+Left, Alt+Right...EXCEPT keyboard control of the focus. Most important is having the grid | tree | list get the focus on every window activation event. Incidentally, the Folder View pane does just that (i.e. it behaves properly and logically...uh, SMART-ly ;-)) when popped open with Shift+F2, but ONLY in a Remote Browser window. If you open a Folder View pane in a Local Browser window, the focus is nowhere to be found.

After ensuring that the initial focus is in the right spot, I think the next order of business would be enabling tabbing between trees, grids, and the address bar.

Fix these little problems and you have a RARE, near-perfect app, in my estimation. :-)

Thanks for your prompt reply and interest, Mat!

Hello ...

We have implemented the Tab between the controls in version 3.0. It's currently beta but you can test it from:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

It's important to note that you cannot run version 2.x and version 3.x in parallel. The beta only misses a couple of minor features (custom commands, double click settings, etc) but it is as stable as the final v2.

Regards,
Mat