I got the 'You may not login more than five times' blues

When I attempt to login to servers, I get this message to begin with, and then many frustrating times afterwards ....

[codebox][10:19:36] 530 Sorry, you may not login more than five times.
[10:19:36] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[10:19:36] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[10:19:36] Client closed the connection.[/codebox]

It happens often on the first entry to a server for the day that it must be a fault of Smart's - much as I love my ftp program.

Is there anything I can do to correct this, please?

Hello ...

The log says that you cannot login more than 5 times. That means you should not open more than 5 concurrent connections to the server. Close all your remote browsers (menu: Window -> Close All). Wait 5 minutes and login/connect again.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Thanks, mb, didn't know that. Cheers
paul

Hello ..

When reading the log you would see that the server doesn't let you login:

[10:59:34] 530 Login incorrect.
[10:59:34] Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/51

Please contact the administrator of the server. They will be able to tell you why the server doesn't let you in.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks, mb, but it's not just this server but others too. I have just emailed them with the problem, but I will follow your advice and contact them further. I take it, mb, that you are saying the fault cannot lie with the ftp program(?).
Many thanks.

Hello Mat

The server responds by saying they can find no fault their end. And that I should check the firewall here - which, as I expect you know, is cleared for SmartFTP. And the server people say I should check the Smart client settings.

Are they on the right track, do you think, please?

Cheers paul

I've gone through the settings, but I don't see anything there that would affect uploading. Is there something I should watch out for, please?

I have also been told this afternoon that these failed connections have had my machine's IP put on the banned list. Not happy about that, of course.