Vista Suspend

I was using SmartFTP v.2.5.1006 to upload a big 481 MB file on my Vista machine. Imagine my surprise when I came back a few hours later and my system had gone into sleep mode! Why didn't Vista detect there was an upload in progress and not go into sleep mode? Is SmartFTP not telling is that there's a transfer in progress? Or is Vista just being stupid? This severely degrades the usability of SmartFTP if it can't handle uploads/downloads and keep the machine turned on...

Hello ..

SmartFTP has no control if the OS decides it wants to go into Sleep/Standby mode. But you can easily fix that by changing the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Regards,
Mat

SmartFTP has no control if the OS decides it wants to go into Sleep/Standby mode. But you can easily fix that by changing the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Thanks for the response. So you mean there's no API hook for a program to tell Vista "Hey, I'm working here, don't go into sleep mode"? That seems incredible to me, especially since Vista ships configured to sleep after 60 minutes by default. That essentially means that any file that takes longer than 60 minutes to upload/download will fail.

You mention the control panel, but you're only suggesting I turn off or extend the sleep timeout period right? I couldn't find any setting related to staying awake during active TCP/IP transfers.

Hello ..

Regards,
Mat

Does this apply to XP, too? I also can't believe this! How does the OS decide if there's been 'no activity'? Is there any way SmartFTP could fool it? I have a 10 minute sleep setting, which I'd like to keep...

The OS don't know whether there is something (a process) in progress/active. You can use the "On Transfer Queue" feature in SmartFTP. Once all items in the transfer queue have been processed SmartFTP will perform the action you selected (sleep, shutdown, hibernate, etc).

Regards,
Mat