SmartFTP and the Windows Scheduler

Hello ..

Do you run SmartFTP under the same user as when you manually add the items to the Transfer Queue?
Is the process (SmartFTP.exe) running? You can use taskman to verify this.

>how can I find out what SmartFTP is doing/has done in Queued Transfer mode? Is there a log file?
You can enable logging in the menu: Tools -> Settings: General -> Advanced dialog.
If you want to write a small vbs script you can programmatically enumerate the items in the Transfer Queue. You need the SmartFTP Client SDK to do this:
https://www.smartftp.com/Products/SDK/SmartFTPSDK.exe

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

I'm unable to reproduce the problem you have.

Are you sharing the Transfer Queue.xml file between different user accounts?

Regards,
Mat

I have the same issue. SmartFTP 2.5.1006 fresh install. I am using a single user. I logged in with the user, configured SmartFtp to start up, run the queue then close the application. I have found that if the user is logged in the tast works fine, if not the tast starts running and "hangs." I believe my single user licence is loaded into the profile, and that when the user is logged in it can access the licence fine. Once I logoff however the schedule task can't find the licence and hangs waiting for the "ok."

To test, create a new user, configure smart FTP to do something AS THAT USER and run your licence.txt file. Make sure when you are logged in as that user you can double click on SmartFTP and that it starts the app and does what it is supposed to. Then configure smartftp.exe in a scheduled task. Logoff and logon as another user to monitor. You will see the smartftp.exe running as a scheduled task and in the task manager but never do anything.

This has been a big problem recently, and I've verified it happens on two different servers. I'm only running SmartFTP for one transfer right now but if I can get this fixed I'd like to purchase a couple more licences and get a couple more automated transfers going.

-Jonathan

Hello ..

I'm sorry but I'm unable to reproduce the problem. The license is always read from the %AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 folder.

Please enable logging. Download https://www.smartftp.com/Products/SmartF ... gLevel.zip
and import the "Enable Logging.reg" registry file.

Once enabled a file called SmartFTP.log is created in the %AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 folder.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

Please install the latest version. It writes some more information into the log:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ..

For me it looks that the system function (ExpandEnvironmentStrings) is not able to resolve the %APPDATA% environment variable.
20071003 09:14:05.620 Thread(280) CTransferQueue::Load(%APPDATA%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Transfer Queue.xml)

This should be a fully qualified path name. If you want you can manually edit the "File" value in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\Queue key.

Nevertheless there is something broke (missing environment variable) with the user account SmartFTP is running under.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP

Mat

Thanks for this help. Yes, replacing the %APPDATA% with the value you get when actually logged in does the trick. I am not sure why it is not set for the process when run through scheduled tasks (at startup), but I'm very pleased it works!

I wonder if you could set the registry setting to the expanded value? If so, I just need to pick up the latest version and all my remaining sites will work as intended.

Best regards
Peter

Hello ..

For me it looks that the system function (ExpandEnvironmentStrings) is not able to resolve the %APPDATA% environment variable.
20071003 09:14:05.620 Thread(280) CTransferQueue::Load(%APPDATA%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Transfer Queue.xml)

This should be a fully qualified path name. If you want you can manually edit the "File" value in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\Queue key.

Nevertheless there is something broke (missing environment variable) with the user account SmartFTP is running under.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP