SFTP or SCP connections ???

I am a web developer with my own business and am using the latest version of SMART FTP for file transfer.

A new website I am working on; has another company to host their site for them for free. This company is using a Linux Server with a SFTP or SCP connections.

How do I configure SMART FTP so I can access this server; to upload files for a new website I created?

Does SMART FTP handle SFTP or SCP connections? And if so, what do I do within SMART FTP so I can access this server?

Any help greatly appreciated. This is a URGENT request.
Thank you so much
ksorman

Oh well, yet another urgent request from you ... SmartFTP is, as the name suggests, and FTP client. SFTP and SCP are both SSH features. As SmartFTP is no SSH client, neither protocols are supported. FTPS (FTP over SSL, both implicit and explicit; notice the difference to SFTP) is supported, however.

It seems that in the Enhancement request here on the board, there are so many people out there with the same request as me for Smart FTP to be a SFTP connection provider.

It appears that Smart FTP does not have the capabilities to do this, and I'm so dissapointed! I love this program and now have had to search the internet to find other alternatives. Would be great if one program could do it all!

eyebex,

Respectfully, I disagree with you. I am a longterm user of SmartFTP but at work I have to use WinSCP because of this requirement. The underlying use is the same, moving files from my PC to a remote server, and the difference is security. These days there are simply too many 'bad actors' on the web to not force us to use as many security precautions as possible.

Because of this, unless SFTP is added soon I will reluctantly be joining the ranks for former SmartFP users even though the UI has always been the best of the competing products. I'm not making a silly threat, why should they care about one user, but simply to emphasize to the developers how important adding this feature has become.

Since my past use has been at home for non-commercial purposes, adding this feature will also allow me to get purchase approval from my boss to buy a few copies. So a small financial incentive too.

Be well,
Bill

(PS - I also registered on this board so I could add my voice to this enhancement request.)

The underlying use is the same, moving files from my PC to a remote server, and the difference is security.
Why is the difference security? The standard FTP is insecure because login information and data is transfered in plain text, alright. But that's not true for FTPS, which is not less secure than SFTP or SCP. It just turns out that SFTP seems to get more widespread than FTPS these days, so from that point of view I understand your request.

This has been one of my biggest beefs about SmartFTP ever since I started using it. There are almost no good, free SFTP gui clients available, I am forced to stick with the crappy one that the university provides. SmartFTP already has so many features surely it would be relatively simple to add SSH FTP (unless the architecture is very badly designed).

I'm in a unix-based university environment, and most of the servers don't even run FTP over SSL, but they do run SFTP.