automatically rename while uploading

It would be very nice to have an option that automatically renames filenames while uploading them. This would be handy for uploading files to my xbox, since the filesystem on the xbox (fatx) has some restrictions on filenames (maximum length 42 characters, not all characters supported).
The renaming should happen 'on-the-fly', so the files on my local harddisk keep their old name.

If you need more info about the exact FATX restrictions, mail me.

i guess renaming for this particular case is a little bit too specific to make it into smartftp. a more generic approach to allow renaming "anything to anything" would be nice. however, it wouldn't be a great deal to implement your wish as part of the settings -> transfer -> files -> post transfer actions.

You are right, the option should be more general than this specific case.
I don't think it can be done with a post transfer action since you can't transfer a file with a to long name to the xbox (if will fail).
A pre transfer action is also unwanted (since that would rename the files locally).
So we really need an on-the-fly (rename) action

Does anybody know of another ftp client that can do this?

I remember that xxxx had this ability as a "transfer as..." option on the menu - I don't know how it accomplished it (perhaps it temporarily renamed the original file, transferred it, then renamed it back?) but it definitely wasn't post-transfer, since I used it to transfer long filenames to my Xbox and it always went through fine.

Anyway, add me to the list of people requesting this feature if you can think of a way to implement this.