Local Files and Control L and View Nomenclature

In my humble opion, "Control L" is a rather too well hidden way of doing something very basic - displaying local files. SmartFTP like any other FTP program is a program for moving files in both directions, but it is very difficult to upload them if you can't see them!

The first place one looks is the view menu, but there does not seem to be an obvious way of displaying files using the options in the view menu. I think that the ability to view local files should be added to the view menu somewhere.

First of all, it is confusing in itself that the "local folder" is called a tool bar. A tool bar is a long thin thing with buttons on it that do things - i.e. a strip of tools. "bar" suggests something long and thin but okay, DPT and IP software has choclate bar like tool bars. At the very least, however, "tool" suggests a collection of buttons that perform functions rather than a display of content.

The "local folders" is rather one of several "views" or "panes," but both of these terms are used to mean other things.

Personally I would move "local folder," "transfers," and "statistics" to new menu item "views."

Then the current contents of view, should be in "format," "view format," "file display format."

Then "local browser," should be added to the views menu.

I think it would be nice to have the option of displaying files in the "local folders" window, but not essential, since I think that most people's screens can cope with four columns.

I think that it is strange to suggest that one might open an explorer window and drag and drop from that. What is the point of having an explorer style ftp client if one has to open an explorer window at the same time? You would have to go to the trouble of arranging that explorer window in verticle strip if you want to see it at the same time, the strip would in the wrong order (either before the local folders or after the service files, or worse - in the background), a new explorer window would be required for each folder unless one browsed in two places at once, and again unless one browser in two places at once, when seeking a file to upload one would be opening loads of explorer windows.

In my humble opinion, a local browser with files, or files in the local folder window should be a default. Not being able to see local files with the rather arcane "Control L" is, in my humble opinion not intuitive.

Tim

I most first say I agree on timtak thoughs.

Just an note on what to do with 'Local Folders'. Maby you could spilt it in 2 parts. The top part should look like it does now and the bottom part should display the files (and folders).

Hi control+l is a shorcut to the icon #16 of the toolbar then is far from hidden

With the shortcut it's easy to access the Local Browser window.

I just thought it would be nice to have something like Local Folders that you can dock at the edgde of the Smart FTP window.

Also, the Local Folders pane could use some improvements. I.e. have the same features like the Local Browser but insted of have it split diagonal you could split it verticaly.

I dont really know how to explain it. But I know ACDSee have a pretty good way to arrange your windows / panes. There you can dock a pane at your left hand side. In this pane you can see both the folders and the files. And in the rest of the area you can display your images.

What I am looking at is a similar way in SmartFTP. But insted of displying images in the rest of the window, you would see the FTP site you are connected to