SmartFTP not user friendly

I have been using Smartftp for a couple of days and here are my impressions.

- First I want to mention that I have used many ftp programs like cuteftp, ws_ftp pro, bulletproof ftp. The first thing that bugged me was trying to create a new site entry. While all the other programs have this option in the same menu where you connect, In smartftp you use something called favorites and it's in its own menu. I don't know why it's called favorites. Even iin the menu, there's no direct option to add new sites. You have to choose edit favorites. Editing something usually means you edit something that already exist.

- The local browser pane and the remote pane work very differently. They don't have the same right click menus. If you right click on a file on the remote server, you have options to download or upload. If you click on a file on yuor local drive, you don't get options to download or upload. The local browser seems to work like file explorer. So if you want to upload, you either drag or or right click in the remote server.

- While the local browser works like file explorer, I can't go to folders like file explorer. For example, if I want to go to inetpub quickly, I hit 'i' then 'n' in file explorer. In the local browser, I got to the first 'n' folder. I find this quite annoying since I have a ton of folders and I go to them by hitting their first letters.

- See recent folders fuctionality in another post.
https://www.smartftp.com/forums/posting.php? ... ply&t=8147

Other than that, nice program, specially when it's free.

Salama

what if your connected to multiple servers and you right click the file on your local disk, and press upload...the program dosent know which one you want to upload to.

And why would you need a download button on your localdisk?

While all the other programs have this option in the same menu where you connect, In smartftp you use something called favorites and it's in its own menu. I don't know why it's called favorites.
the term "favorites" should be familiar to anyone how knows internet explorer, that's where it comes from. moreover, how cares whether you call it favorites, bookmarks, site manager or whatever?

Editing something usually means you edit something that already exist.
correct, you edit the database file of favorites. this file always exists, even if it's empty (there are no favorites), so "edit" IMHO is the right term here.

The local browser pane and the remote pane work very differently.
of course they do. not all options which make sense for local files / directories also make sense for remote files and vice versa, that's why their context menus look different.

The local browser seems to work like file explorer.
correct, that's exactly its purpose: an alternative to open a separate windows explorer window.

what if your connected to multiple servers and you right click the file on your local disk, and press upload...the program dosent know which one you want to upload to.

What do you mean? If you drag and drop from file explorer, you're doing it to one of the ftp sessions. If you're doing a file transfer from an ftp session, there' no confusion there. Other fto programs do it, they don't seem to have a problem

While all the other programs have this option in the same menu where you connect, In smartftp you use something called favorites and it's in its own menu. I don't know why it's called favorites.
the term "favorites" should be familiar to anyone how knows internet explorer, that's where it comes from. moreover, how cares whether you call it favorites, bookmarks, site manager or whatever?

This the only ftp program that has favorites. Besides, never assume everyone uses IE.

Editing something usually means you edit something that already exist.
correct, you edit the database file of favorites. this file always exists, even if it's empty (there are no favorites), so "edit" IMHO is the right term here.

One problem with edit, it's also where you create a new entry. 'New' and 'Edit'. In any program, you will notice that edit and new are in the same hierarchy. New is NOT inside edit.

The local browser pane and the remote pane work very differently.
of course they do. not all options which make sense for local files / directories also make sense for remote files and vice versa, that's why their context menus look different.

The local browser seems to work like file explorer.
correct, that's exactly its purpose: an alternative to open a separate windows explorer window.

It's still confusing. When I browse local folders, the files pane doesn't show up. I think I have to choose something else for files to show up.

Hi, local folder bar is that, only folders, to get a fully view of folders and files you need to open a local browser (control+l).