bugs, better log use, duplicators, "sites" tree, m

i have a whole pile of minor suggestions/whinges. sorry if these are repeats of other people's posts...

trying to wean people at my office away from CuteFTP, to use SmartFTP instead, i have a few minor suggestions which would probably make my quest a bit easier to encourage purchasing SmartFTP licenses:

<ol>
[*]usually when bringing up a context-sensitive menu with a right-click, the right mouse button should ALSO be usable to activate a menu item... instead of just the left button. tiny, i know, but annoying.

[*]occasionally, i've noticed that the "open in local browser" option, for a given site, doesn't always bring the remote site to the foreground properly when accessing a Favorite. i haven't worked out exactly when this occurs, but it seems to have something to do with Auto Arrange on the windows.

[*]the whole way the different Queues work for different events is confusing. some annoyances: (1) can't drag items directly to the global queue, as per CuteFTP (2) failed items in a queue can't be individually toggled/enabled/disabled (3) can't view log on failed items after the queue has been stopped.

[*]it would be really handy if, when a given function fails, the warning dialog box could also include a "show log" button so the user can examine exactly what the server's response was.

[*]for some reason, i feel that the default behaviour of double-clicking a site in the Favorites window should bring up the properties for it, since it is normal to expect that OPENING the site would normally be achieved by picking it from the Favouites MENU. maybe the compromise is to make the Favorites window dockable? that would be really useful.

[*]in the Favorites window, a site cannot be easily DUPLICATED; we often do this, give each one a unique local and unique remote path, and then save the site with a unique name. same goes for other lists (i.e. custom commands).

[*]the abiliy to use tabs to switch quickly between multiple local browser locations would negate the need for several tiled local browser windows.

[*]Auto Arrange on windows is very handy, but it is highly annoying that it doesn't automatically balance the splitter bars inside each window when using "tile vertically"... this means that, as i resize the main window (or change my resolution, or connect to an additional site), invariably i can only see the Folder tree of each window and not the file list (as the splitter sits too close to the right-hand side). also, the splitter 'client area' is very narrow, making it difficult to quickly grab and slide.
</ol>

that's all i can think of at the moment. i feel that if you covered at least some of these points, it would benefit many users, and make SmartFTP the ideal solution for our office.

- Anton
(algofoogle)

I know it works the way you suggest in e.g. Windows Explorer, but nevertheless in my eyes this breaks consistency: The left button is used to activate, the right button to access the menu. Your way one could never access a popup menu of an entry within a popup menu ;-)

[quote name='algofoogle]the whole way the different Queues work for different events is confusing. some annoyances: (1) can't drag items directly to the global queue' date=' as per CuteFTP[/quote']
What do you mean? Of course you can drag & drop files to the "Queue Source" tab, and then from there to their destination in order to start transfer. This works for both uploads & downloads. If you want to download to the default location, you can also directly drag & drop remote files to the "Global Queue" tab. I guess it just work differenty than in CuteFTP, but SmartFTP is not really missing a feature here.

Correct, this has also annoyed me recently. Copying & pasting a favorite to the same folder simply does nothing.

algofoogle wrote:the abiliy to use tabs to switch quickly between multiple local browser locations would negate the need for several tiled local browser windows.
Do you have the "Window Bar" (View -> Toolsbars) enabled? Just like remote windows, local browser windows have tab entries there.

EDIT: Are you speaking of the "Local Folder Bar" (View -> Toolbars) or the "Local Browser" (CTRL-L)? Only the "Local Browser" windows have entries in the "Window Bar".