Something i'd like changed

I love SmartFTP...I use it all the time...but one of the most annoying aspects of it is when it says "This version of SmartFTP hasn't been updated since...." and then proceeds to open a webbrowser.

If I wanted to update it, I would
It's just annoying.
Yea I know there are ways around it, like downloading development copies, but i'd much rather run a stable version.

I am quite sure that you have ussing 981.37 build, and because the 92 days without a new build you get the update message, but there is a new 981.37 build from 16 of june.

I have to agree with Deimos -- I don't like the fact that a browser opens every time I start the application.

The worst part is that, for months, the page that loaded told me "Build 981 Released", although that was the same build I was using. There's no ".37" on the webpage, and it's not in Help>About either. So, every time I started the app, I was told to upgrade to the same version I had installed. ???

Now, Build 982 is available, but I don't need any of the new features. And the only way to avoid the popup (and the browser) is to upgrade and risk corrupting a perfectly stable installation.

I'm sorry. I love SmartFTP. It satisfies every need I thought I'd ever have from an FTP program. The popup is the only thing I really really really really really want to change.

That's all.

This is going to sound stupid, but you realize in order for them to change it, you would have to download a new build anyway, so why not just download the new build right now? i dont understand how you "risk" a stable install. I have never had a problem corrupting a installation simply by updating the software. Well at least with products other than Windows.

Until they change it, I will have to download and install every new build to avoid a message I don't need to see. As for risking a safe install, the latest release of SourceEdit erased all of my stored preferences. Granted, SmartFTP is not SourceEdit, but it's been my experience that a not-insignificant number of applications do not remember preferences/history from previous installations, and do not always install cleanly over previous installations.

I've also lost two MP3 players due to compatability issues with firmware upgrades, so my confidence in upgrades of any kind is not high. I have 10 years of work history in Software QA, so I know how/why these things happen, and there's not always a nice workaround when something inevitably goes wrong.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The popup message/new browser window is, in my opinion, "broke".

Feel free to buy a license key if you don't want to update.